Going on a Ski and Snowboard holiday should be on your bucket list

Leicester’s Ski and Snowboard Club spill the beans on what their club is like.

The Ski and Snowboard Club is one of the best known clubs on campus, famous for the socials and their ski holidays in Christmas and Easter. Committee members Alex Hamlet and Max Thompson are here to tell you more about what the club get up to.

So what is like to be part of LUSSC?

“The club is a buzzing crowd of likeminded  snow lovers” said Alex. If you love snow, skiing, snowboarding or anything of the sort then LUSSC is the place for you. The socials are huge and it’s just a really awesome experience, whether we’re on a trip or just on a normal social.

“Obviously the camera social is one of the best ones of the year. We had about 150 people attend this years event and they managed to do the majority of the challenges that the committee set. We even managed to fill Vodka Revolution, which is an achievement!”

How do you guys compete, you can’t have BUCS competitions each week?

“Obviously the lack of snow is disappointing, but we compete in other ways.” said Max. “We’re going to be competing at the BUDS championship on the 8th of November. It’s a dry slope competition held in Edinburgh open to ski and snowboard clubs from across the country. It’s always a good event and the social after is great!”

“Of course Loughborough are one of the best, if not the best, but it’s not all about the winning for us” added Alex. “BUDS is a good introduction to competitive skiing and snowboarding and some people do really enjoy it, but it’s not the be all and end all. A lot of our members come along to have a good time with the rest of the group and enjoy the social after.”

What about the trips?

“There are two and they’re both huge” said Alex. “We go away during the two holidays, Christmas and Easter, for a week at a time. It can be pretty hectic leaving on the last day of term, but it’s worth it because the trips are so good.”

“At Christmas we’re going to Alp d’Huez in the French Alps and it’s going to be awesome. We’re sold 83 places on the trip and only have 10 spaces left, which is a great number of people to have. I can’t wait” said Alex and Max excitedly.

“Going on a LUSSC holiday should be on any university bucket list” said Alex, “It’s so good, even the non-members come back!”

If there are 3 things freshers should know about the club, what are they?

“Anyone wanting to come out with LUSSC, either on a social or on a holiday should: practice boat racing; get a lot of fancy dress outfits and learn the awkward salmon.”

“It doesn’t matter how good you are at skiing or snowboarding because racing isn’t essential. We’ve got 19 people booked on intensive course in November for complete beginners.”

If you want to keep up to date with all things LUSSC then click here.