These Midnights lyrics were literally written about Lancs students

‘And by the way, I’m goin’ out tonight’

Can you believe it’s been over a week since Taylor Swift released Midnights? If you’re anything like us, you haven’t stopped listening to the album since it dropped and you’ve already picked which song you’re going to base your personality around for the next four months.

You also probably have a lot of the lyrics memorised right now. Maybe you’re like us and you’re picking out all the most relatable lyrics in terms of Lancs Uni experiences. Okay, you’re probably not like us, but you don’t need to be, because we’ve rounded up all the most relatable Midnights lyrics for Lancaster students right here.

‘Oh, you don’t ever say too much’ ‘But you weren’t even listening’ – Lavender Haze

Your lecturer when you turn up to your seminars and do the bare minimum. I’m sure they can’t see you scrolling through Instagram whilst they chat about whatever the reading was all about this week, right?

‘We were cleaning incense off your vinyl shelf’ – Maroon

Coming from a vinyl girlie, owning vinyl records does not make you cool or edgy. Guarantee you’ve been in someone’s hazy, incensed room at one point and had to listen to them tell you about their extensive Smiths record collection. Every single thing here is a Lancs red flag. Run.

‘Your roommate’s cheap-ass screw-top rosé’ – Maroon

Maroon sums up the entire student experience in its first verse. Aldi does perfectly good wine for a fiver and it’s the best (and cheapest) way to guarantee you get drunk before getting to Sugar. Just make sure you don’t end up on the floor.

‘I have this thing where I get older, but just never wiser’ – Anti-Hero

Find me one Lancs final-year student who isn’t currently having an existential crisis over what their future looks like. That’s right. You can’t. We’re getting older but, despite literally being here to learn, never wiser.

‘Midnights become my afternoons’ – Anti-Hero

Midnights are always going to be your afternoons after a night out in Lancs. You’re not going to want to crawl out of bed until about 2 pm, and you’ll still be awake at 3 am, contemplating doing it all over again next time your mate asks if you fancy a night in Gens.

‘I waited ages to see you there ‘ – You’re On Your Own, Kid

Queueing in Alex Square for twenty minutes, only to find out that they’ve sold out of pepperoni pizzas. Truly heartbreaking.

‘My friends from home don’t know what to say’ – You’re On Your Own, Kid

An apt reaction from your mates when you come back after your first term at Lancaster and tell them there are only three clubs and we treat ducks like they’re royalty.

‘Did you ever have someone kiss you in a crowded room // And every single one of your friends was makin’ fun of you’ – Question…?

Did you ever have someone kiss you in Sugar and every single one of your mates was making fun of you? You’re just like Taylor.

‘And she looks so pretty’ – Vigilante Shit

Said by many a student as they gaze upon the majesty of Norma, the Library tree.

‘And by the way, I’m goin’ out tonight’ – Bejewelled

Most likely followed by your flatmate reminding you that you have a 9am tomorrow morning and just because there’s a Whoops! Wednesday doesn’t mean you have to go to it. What do they know? You’re going to make the whole place shimmer.

”It only hurts this much right now’ // Was what I was thinkin’ the whole time’ – Labyrinth

Okay. Maybe your flatmate was right. You’re in immense pain throughout the entirety of your 9 am on Thursday morning. You always think you’ll feel better by the end of those two hours, but you’re always wrong.

‘You would break your back to make me break a smile’ – Labyrinth

This was very evidently written about Isaac Sultans. Free water does make me break a smile.

‘You’re talking shit for the hell of it’ – Karma

If there’s one thing Lancs students love more than anything, it’s shit-talking. Whether your favourite gossip spot is Spoons, Tipple, Gallico, or The Deli, the tea is always going to be spilled.

‘And the voices that implore, ‘You should be doing more” – Sweet Nothing

Lancaster, you’re too hard on yourself. Don’t listen to those voices. You’re trying your best and we love you for it.

‘Your ex-friend’s sister // Met someone at a club and he kissed her // Turns out, it was that guy you hooked up with ages ago’ – Paris

Because Lancaster is so small, you’ve probably had a conversation that sounds similar to this countless times. Just once I’d like to meet someone who has no idea who I am. Just once.

‘Privacy sign on the door ‘ – Paris

Though, in Lancs, it’s more likely to be a sock on the door handle.

‘I think there’s been a glitch’ – Glitch

Trying to convince your lecturer that you did submit the work on time, it’s just that something was wrong with Moodle. Swear down.

Related articles recommended by this writer: