Lancaster University achieves first victory in UniBrass Competition 2024

Lancaster University has its first win in the UniBrass Shield Section 2024

Lancaster University has won the Shield Section of the UniBrass Competition 2024.

UniBrass is an inter-university brass band competition, which this year was held by the University of Warwick, on Saturday 17th Feburary 2024.

Following the team’s victory, Lancaster is now in the running to compete in the higher division (UniBrass Trophy Section) in 2025, which will be held in Cardiff.

This is the first time that Lancaster Uni has won its section of the competition (scoring 96 +48). Lancaster also won the most entertaining band in the Shield Section and the Spirit of the UniBrass award, which was awarded to Scott Henderson.

The UniBrass competition was founded by Lancaster Uni students, the idea was thought up by brass players in County Bar. 

UniBrass is a charity in England and Wales that supports brass banding at a university level. The charity strongly encourages the formation of new brass bands, as well as supporting existing bands. They hold different events such as the UniBrass gala concert and the UniBrass social.

The UniBrass competition is held annually and run by students in England, it moves location every two years. The UniBrass competition gives brass bands the chance to compete, whilst being judged by their musical ability and how entertaining they are in their 20 minute performance.

Lancaster University Brass Band and Lancaster University Music Society are thrilled to have been awarded these prizes. The Brass Reps, Scott Henderson and Hannah Clayton, want to thank both the conductors Chris Pollock and Hugh Streets as well as each individual player for their hard work and dedication to the competition this year. 

UniBrass can be found on Facebook @UniBrass.

Related articles recommended by this writer: