Lancsolidarity to hold student walk out in Alex Square

The protest will begin at 10:45am on Wednesday

The student-led group @lancsolidarity has organised a student walk out and protest on Wednesday 2nd March at 10:45 am in Alexandra Square.

The strike comes in response to repayment thresholds being frozen, which will cost students an additional £100 a year.

The group also organised the student presence at the picket lines during the staff strikes across the last couple of weeks and has been vocal about students’ need to show their support to lecturers.

In their Instagram bio, lancsolidarity describes itself as supporting staff “taking action against unfair working conditions, casualisation and cuts to their pensions”.

The group has also been behind the teach-ins throughout the past weeks, as well as solidarity meetings and placard-making sessions.

In a post shared today, the group said: “The NUS has called for a day of national student striking – so let’s rally at Alex Square at 10:45!!!”

The National Union of Students (NUS) is calling on all students to join a student strike for education.

In a recent Instagram post, they said: “After two years of isolation from each other, the student movement will reunite to reimagine the broken system and build the #NewVisionForEducation we want to see.”

More information can be found on Instagram @lancsolidarity 

Related articles recommended by this writer

• LUIFS to host The Lancaster Forum on 5th and 6th March

• LU Lithuanian Society holds Ukraine protest in town

• LUSU announces support for students affected by the Ukraine crisis