What are you listening to right now?

They were all Hotline Bling

Music is an amazing thing. It has the capability of getting a club full of drunken teens dancing to the same beat, whilst simultaneously being personal to each of us: no-one knows what a man sings in the shower or what he listens to with his headphones in.

It’s a big part of any person so, Lancaster being the beautiful melting pot that it is, it seemed like a good idea to wander around campus and find out what all these diverse people brought to the record table by seeing what they were listening to and why.

Chris Middlehurst, 19, Economics and Geography

He was listening to Ian Brown – F.E.A.R. Genre: Alt-Rock. He said: “Ian Brown is a legend. ‘nuff said.”

Alistair Carter, 18, Accounting and Finance

He was listening to Vampire Weekend – A-punk. Genre: Indie Rock. He said: “It’s music that gets me in a good mood, I’ve been listening to them for four years.”

Charlotte Pollen, 19, Fine Art

She was listening to Calvin Harris – Blame ft. John Newman. Genre: Dance Pop. She said: “It’s got a good beat.”

Abayomi Lami, 18, Law

He was listening to Wizkid ft. Drake & Skepta – Ojuelegba. Genre: Afrobeats. He said: “A passionate song, Drake and Skepta kill it! In a good way!”

Fiona Dale, 19, French and Spanish

She was listening to 5 Seconds of Summer – Castaway. Genre: Pop Punk. She said: “It’s the first time I’ve heard it, it’s ok.”

Ellie Williams, 18, International Relations and Religious Diversity

She was listening to Amy Winehouse – Stronger Than Me. Genre: Soul. She said “It’s a soulful song, it’s beautiful to hear her sing.”

Harry Doddrell, 18, Management and Entrepreneurship

He was listening to Chunky – Format: B. Genre: House. He said: “I’m a big fan of house, I’m on my way to pre-drinks now too so the song gets me ready for it.”

Alan Xu, 22, Business Analytics

Alan didn’t know how to say the song in English but said it was traditional Chinese music.