Birmingham ranked fourth in affordability survey for UK university cities

Birmingham joins elite list of the most affordable UK universities

In 2024/25, Birmingham is coming out on top as one of the most affordable cities for university undergraduate students.

A recent study has concluded the university of Birmingham to be inexpensive in comparison to other UK universities. UK Debt Expert’s research shows the university to be fourth for affordability.

Student life can be far from glamorous, with many struggling to pay for bills and general expenses. Prior to the study, a survey revealed that 61 per cent of students have had to borrow money in order to pay their rent.

UK Debt Expert conducted this research to show the sliding scale of affordable university cities, considering these factors:

• Average monthly expenses for students
  • Average weekly rent for the cheapest university halls available
  • Cost of the cheapest fresher’s week tickets
  • Average cost of a pint in the city
  • Number of part-time jobs available within 10km of the city

The stats showed that University of Birmingham students spent on average £626 a month on expenses. The cheapest halls of residence started at £130 per week. The research also showed there to be approximately 125 part-time jobs available within a 10km radius, aiding students with work and the chance to improve their financial situation.

Unsurprisingly, London found itself as the least affordable city for students overall. However, Edinburgh students are hit with the highest monthly living expenses at £781. Their cheapest halls of residence also start at a staggering £150 per week, leaving students with a high monthly outgoing.

Nottingham took the gold for the most affordable university city overall. Their students’ monthly expenses are on average over £500 less than those in London or Edinburgh. Part of Nottingham’s affordability comes from students making up 13 per cent of its population.

Maxine McCreadie, a personal finance expert at UK Debt Expert, remarked on the researching saying:

“The recent findings underscore how challenging it has become for students to manage their finances amidst rising living costs and inflation. Knowing where to start can be difficult but taking the time to plan everything out and budget accordingly will help you in the long run.”