Newly released footage shows moment car drove over people at Freshers’ event in Birmingham

A man has now been arrested after six people were injured at The Tunnel Club earlier this month

Newly released footage shows the moment a car drove into a crowd of people during a Freshers’ Week event in Birmingham.

Six people were injured outside The Tunnel Club in the city centre after they were ploughed into by a car on 4th October.

Hundreds of people were at the event which was taking place during Freshers’ Week when the car hit a group of men who were standing outside the venue.

Footage obtained by Birmz is Grime, a popular Birmingham blog, showed the incident taking place with onlookers being heard screaming in the background.

In the video, a group can be seen fighting outside the club, whilst a car sits in the middle of the road. A man then climbs into the passenger side of the vehicle.

via SWNS

This is when the car reverses and then drives into a number of people who are pulled to the floor by the vehicle and the dragged up the road before being driven over.

People in the video can be heard screaming and shouting “run, run, run” as onlookers rush to the men on the floor’s assistance.

Six people were confirmed to be injured in the incident with five being taken to hospital for their injuries, however, these weren’t life threatening.

A 22-year-old man was later arrested by West Midlands Police for attempted murder, whilst another man was arrested for affray.

via SWNS

In a statement, a West Midlands Police spokesperson said: “We’ve arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder after a number of people were injured when a car was driven at people in Livery Street in Birmingham on Friday morning.

“The 22-year-old was arrested at a property in the city just before 9am today (5th October) and has been taken into custody for questioning.

“We were called to [the] disorder in Livery Street at around 3am yesterday (4th October) [where] a number of people were injured when a car was driven at a group outside The Tunnel nightclub.

“The car was then driven away from the scene. It’s believed six people were injured during the incident all together, and five were taken to hospital.

“Two of the injured remain in hospital, but their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. One of them is under arrest on suspicion of affray.”

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Sproson, from Birmingham Police, also added that officers are working hard to figure out what happened and why.

He said: “At this stage, we believe this to have been an isolated and deliberate attack linked to an earlier incident inside the nightclub.

“The investigation continues to make good progress, but we’d still appeal for anyone with information or mobile phone images to get in touch via our dedicated website.”

Featured images via SWNS