Lawrence TikTok song viral

This chaotic viral song is dividing TikTok and people are beefing over if it’s great or terrible

It makes me feel overstimulated

There is a song right now that I cannot escape on my FYP, and the song is so earth-shatteringly loud that I feel like it perforates my eardrum every time my thumb flick happens upon it. The song in question is by New York band Lawrence, formed by brother and sister musician duo Clyde and Gracie Lawrence who now perform as an eight piece band. Whatcha Want, the viral Lawrence song all over TikTok right now, is dividing the app with some people thinking it’s absolutely peak music and some finding it insufferable and overstimulating.

Right, what is it?

@lawrencetheband

WHATCHA WANT (ACOUSTIC-ISH) OUT NOW 🚨🚨📈📈 #livemusic #newmusic #newsong #acoustic #siblings

♬ Whatcha Want – Lawrence

Lawrence posted a snippet of them performing Whatcha Want (Acoustic-ish), and this is the version of the song that’s viral and causing the TikTok divided FYP. The clip features Gracie Lawrence absolutely belting the biggest vocal humanly possible and then jamming out with the rest of the band through the verses. You have to give it to her – she’s an absolute vocalist. Truly talented, as are the musicians – but the whole song has an air of theatre kid about it which obviously is a bit of an acquired taste. It’s all a bit modern Broadway pop number – and the lyrics are a little bit corny. To me!

What is TikTok saying?

The reason the song is kinda everywhere is not just because it is such a maximalist clip, but it’s because people truly either love it or cannot abide it. Very few are in the middle about it.

One TikTok, which has received a mammoth number of likes – says it sounds like Target commercial music. It’s also had unfavourable comparisons to Music For A Sushi Restaurant by Harry Styles for the same kinda vibe.

@jawnysroom

i cant be the only one that feels this way

♬ Whatcha Want – Lawrence

And then on the flip side, the lovers of Lawrence belting out Whatcha Want on TikTok are praising the song for them hella massive vocals.

And then there’s the me camp – I’m overwhelmed! I’m overstimulated! So much is happening!

@thee.kweird.one

I tried to like it, yall. I just can’t.

♬ Whatcha Want – Lawrence

All of these different stances on it have at least 100,000 likes and millions of views. I actually can’t think of many songs that have polarised opinion in this way in ages. It’s kinda iconic. Lawrence must be revelling in the attention because whether people love it or hate it it’s got literally everyone talking.

For more like this article plus all the latest news, drops, quizzes and memes, like The Tab on Facebook. 

• Okay, here’s how to find the actually life-changing new Spotify Offline Backup feature

• A guy on TikTok has a wild theory about why time feels like it goes so much faster since 2020

• Funerals, vegans and in-laws: The most debated Am I the A******? Reddit posts of all time