University of Birmingham requests court order to end pro-Palestine encampment on campus

The university will request a possession order to ‘end the disruption being caused to university land and activity’

The university of Birmingham has requested a court order to end the student encampment currently on campus in support of Palestine.

Vice-chancellor Adam Tickell, explained that the decision was made with “a heavy heart” but that intimidation and damage to buildings had ultimately resulted in the decision. 

Student protestors have since confirmed they are seeking legal advice themselves, calling the university’s decision “disappointing”, BBC reports.

In early May, student demonstrators set up tents on Edgbaston Campus to demand the university’s divestment from Israeli armament manufacturers and protesting against the university’s stance on the war on Gaza.

As one of many student-led university encampments across The UK, students renamed the area as the “Birmingham Liberated Zone” after pitching up tents on the Green Heart on May 16th. 

After less than a week of occupation, students were issued with a letter from the University of Birmingham which outlined that students who failed to leave the premises would be reported to enforcement officers. Birmingham became the first UK university to threaten encampment students with legal action.

Students were undeterred and continued the encampment, which has now occupied the space for almost a month.

Vice-chancellor Adam Tickle explained that the university’s decision to seek a court order came with “a heavy heart” as he expressed his support for protest rights but criticised recent actions which included “mask-wearing groups shouting at, harassing and intimidating staff in their place of work.”

Writing to staff, he described how meetings could not progress as encampment representatives refused offers to meet with senior university representatives “unless specific demands were agreed to in advance”.

He said: “Instead, they have chosen to escalate actions, crossing the line into completely unacceptable behaviour.” He also claimed that students had invited external groups and speakers to university campus without permission.

A spokesperson for the encampment rejected this, claiming that the student-staff coalition behind the encampment was “peaceful” to both students and staff in the nearby area. They said: “We reject the claim that our peaceful encampment is intimidating to students and staff.”

The vice-chancellor further explained that the decision to request a possession order to evict encampment students was not easy. He said: “This action is not about taking a political position as an institution.

“I absolutely recognise that some students and staff may wish to take part in protests and respect their right to do so peacefully within the law and university regulations.

“However, the rights to protest and to freedom of speech do not include setting up a camp and occupying university land, to the detriment of the rest of the university community.”

Vice-chancellor Ticknell added that the university continues to work to find an alternative solution which would allow protesters to express views while “allowing the university’s normal activities to continue”.

The statement also read: “I am unequivocal in recognising that this conflict continues to cause unimaginable suffering and continue to hope for an immediate ceasefire, the release of the remaining hostages, the delivery of vital aid and a peaceful resolution.”

This has since been disputed by encampment protestors who believe the universities investments in pro-Israel armament companies equates to direct support of the Israeli offensive.

The spokesperson for the encampment stated the university’s legal action was “disappointing” and that they themselves were currently seeking legal advice.

The spokesperson for the University of Birmingham said: “A group of tents has occupied several parts of the central University campus since 9 May. On Monday 10 June, the University submitted a claim to Court for a Possession Order to end the disruption to University land and activity being caused by these camps.

“We recognise that some students and staff may wish to take part in protests about issues that matter to them and respect their right to do so peacefully within the law and university regulations. However, this does not include setting up a camp and occupying university land, to the detriment of the rest of the university community.
“Unfortunately, there has also been an escalation in recent actions, including disrupting student activities such as Grad Ball, red paint being sprayed across the Aston Webb building causing significant damage, and mask-wearing groups shouting at staff. It is important that everyone on campus should be able to go about their business without fear of intimidation and without feeling that there are parts of campus where they cannot go.
“Taking legal action is not a decision taken lightly but is necessary to look after the interests of the whole university community. In parallel we will continue to seek dialogue and push for an alternative resolution, something the camp has so far refused to do despite repeated offers.”

Related articles recommend by this author:

Featured image via @flashedbyelisa