Tories Say: ‘Save Water, Drink Champagne’

The Cambridge University Conservative Association has been slammed for producting an "elitist" freshers' guide.

Undergraduates have ridiculed an “out of touch” and “elitist” Tory student guide released this week.

Average students are worrying about how they are going to make their student loan last the term (if it ever comes through), however the Tories seem to think that this is not the case for Cambridge freshers.

The Cambridge University Conservative Association (CUCA), whose president is former Tory leader Michael Howard, has been slammed for offering tips on where to buy the best champagne and how to tie a bow tie.

The Conservatives released this “essential” advice to new students in their annual free glossy magazine this week.

Other guidelines included appropriate dress and etiquette at formal dinners.

The Bright Blue Freshers’ Guide also included headlines such as “Save water, drink champagne”.

Undergraduates have ridiculed the magazine as a “snob’s guide” while George Owers, chair of the University Labour Club feels it may have more serious repercussions.

He commented: "Cambridge University has real problems when it comes to getting working-class children to consider Cambridge.

“We're trying to dispel the idea that Cambridge is all about wearing white ties and dinner jackets and going punting – this guide, which has been published in the middle of recession, just perpetuates it,”

He went on to say, "this booklet shows their obsession with snobbish etiquette, expensive luxury and the supposedly superior social class of their members. They have squarely positioned themselves as a glorified social club for wannabe toffs, social climbers and minor aristocrats.

Owers even compared the young Tories to the infamous Oxford University Bullingdon Club where David Cameron and Boris Johnson were members.

Hugh Burling, who edited the Bright Blue Freshers' Guide, denied the charge of elitism and described the magazine as "just a bit of fun".

He said: “The magazine provided useful information in an entertaining manner.”

However Mr Burling did go on to attack David Cameron, the Tory leader, who was pictured quaffing champagne at his party conference this week just as shadow chancellor George Osborne gave his speech advising that Britain should aim to cut spending.

He added: “Cameron's behaviour at the conference was foolish.”

Scandal of this sort is not unique to Cambridge.

In September of this year the Oxford University Conservative Association  (OUCA) were banned from using the University’s name and from recruiting new members following a race row.

Members of the OUCA were instructed to tell the most offensive joke they knew at hustings.

One told a sick gag about a black man and a tree whilst a second was cut short by officials.

University chiefs forbade the OUCA, whose patron is Margaret Thatcher, to link itself to Oxford until they improved conduct.

David Cameron saw fit to suspend two members.

Time will only tell whether the same thing will happen in Cambridge.

• Hugh Burling

Has telling someone where they can buy £5 prosecco now become more offensive than showing half-naked twenty-year old girls, then? Clearly I’ve been walking around asleep. Such integrity, Tab!

• Billio

George Owers should round his square head. What makes him think working class folks can't go punting. Chips all round!

• http://fsjgnljsv.com CULA

“We're trying to dispel the idea that Cambridge is all about wearing white ties and dinner jackets and going punting" – That's pretty much what I've done for three years. It's a stereotype for a reason!

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

You’re at Cambridge, you know change is slow: Why we must stay affiliated to NUS

I am urging Cambridge students to vote NO to disaffiliation, not because the NUS is perfect, but precisely because it’s not.

Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now: My Revision Period In Smiths Tracks

How a jangly 80s indie band perfectly summed up the revision period

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving

What not to say to someone with depression

No, they can’t just ‘snap out of it’