University of Nottingham’s vice chancellor Shearer West steps down from £323,000 role

Professor West will instead become the vice chancellor of University of Leeds

Professor Shearer West has stepped down from her position as vice chancellor at University of Nottingham after seven years.

Professor West has since announced that she will become the Vice-Chancellor at the University of Leeds this Autumn.

The university is currently searching for a replacement starting in the summer of 2025 with Professor Jane Norman to temporarily act as vice chancellor from November when Shearer will officially leave.

The Chair of Council, Sir Keith O’Nions, recognised the positive contributions that Shearer West has made since 2017 and said that the university “will continue to build on the foundations she has laid over the past seven years and on Shearer’s vision for a global university that it fit for the future”.

Professor West’s resignation arrived after University of Nottingham announced ongoing financial struggles and the risk of 500 job cuts.

The university has introduced a Mutually Agreed Resignation Scheme that allows employees to leave with a severance payment to avoid redundancy.

Shearer West is currently paid £323,400 per year by University of Nottingham whilst Professor Simone Buitendijk, vice chancellor at the University of Leeds, has an annual salary of £330,000, reports Notts Live.

Professor West has announced that she is “delighted and honoured to be joining Leeds as its 14th vice chancellor.

“I know that I am building on very firm foundations and feel extremely privileged to have been chosen to be part of an institution that is known for its global outlook, outstanding research, and commitment to an exceptional experience for its students.”

Featured image via YouTube.

500 jobs at University of Nottingham at risk after ongoing financial struggles

Man jailed for a year for stealing bikes from Nottingham University campuses

University of Nottingham fails to enter the top 100 in new world university ranking