Everything in Newcastle that should be on your summer bucket list

Cue day drinking, BBQs on the beach and dodging rugby balls on Little Moor

Now the summer solstice has passed, its officially British Summertime. So we can’t help but get excited about the warmer weather, longer nights and blue skies in the Toon. This might be your first summer in Newcastle, or perhaps your final season before you officially retire as a student. Whatever it is, we’ve got some out of the box gems for you to explore this summer.

Stanhope open air swimming pool

Not quite making it abroad this year? This is the next best thing. Located about an hour south of Newcastle, you’ll need a car for this one but could easily make a day of it; bring a picnic, your sunnies and a Beck’s Blue and head down to Stanhope on a sunny day for an outdoor swim. Too far for you? There’s always the North Sea.

Riley’s Fish Shack

Seafood lovers come forth! On King Edward’s Bay, Riley’s serve the freshest fish and offer deckchair seating on the beach. Prices aren’t exactly student friendly so this might be a good place to visit for an occasion, but it’s a vibe all the same. Opt for the BTEC version and throw together a fire on the beach instead, just try not to stare over at Riley’s in envy.

Northumberlandia

If you’re wanting to explore somewhere different, this is for you. Northumberlandia is a huge land sculpture in the shape of a reclining female figure, made with paths you can wander along. It’s also surrounded by a few ponds and a viewing area. Bit of a weird one, we know – but something different if you’re bored of walking round Jesmond Dene. And it’s only a 25 minute drive away.

Durham

Only a short and cheap train journey sway, Durham is the perfect city to explore on a sunny day. Be warned though, there are some hefty hills so bring water. Despite that, there’s something so chill about sitting on the green surrounding the Cathedral; it’s like something straight out of a Harry Potter book. Also, the Revs there is really nice and has a cracking beer garden.

NE1 Screen on the Green

Newcastle’s outdoor cinema is returning again for another long summer of movies and live sport, free in the heart of the Toon between the 28th of June and the 5th of September. Expect to see blockbuster films aired from noon until 6pm daily (films starting from the 26th July), with two films streamed each day over the six week period and family films airing first at 12pm. Think family favourites, movie classics and all your favourite blockbusters on the Green; bring your snacks (and an umbrella knowing Newcastle) and pull up a deck chair to watch.

Sports coverage begins on the 28th June with Wimbledon, the Tour de France and the opening ceremony of the Olympics, AND the live stream of Northern Pride’s virtual event on Saturday the 24th of July, from 12pm until 8.30pm.

Surf School

If you’re straight outta Manchester, or anywhere inland for that matter, surfing may be a skill you’ve not yet tried. Tynemouth Surf Co and Londsands Surf School offer surf lessons for all levels which run everyday (across both companies) and also everyday throughout summer holidays. You can also paddle board if surfing is a bit out there for you and are able to rent boards and wetsuits so being cold is no excuse.

Tynemouth Aquarium

Tynemouth Aquarium is located right by Londsands and is a fun little day out with your housemates for a cloudy summer day. Tickets are £14.50 but worth every penny if you’re looking for a different day out over summer to stop the days rolling into each other.

Alnwick Castle

A bit on the spenny side and a trek via public transport but definitely worth the visit if you have a car or are up for the journey. The castle itself was featured in the 2001 Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and the 2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, with the courtyards and the Lion Arch being recognisable features, as well as the Outer Bailey which was used in the broomstick flying and Quidditch scenes.

Alnwick itself is definitely worth visiting, with the Treehouse Restaurant and The Bookshop located in the old train station being two of many must see’s. Alnmouth is also a beautiful sweeping beach and much easier to get to via train.

Watch the sunrise at Tynemouth

Pick a clear night, bring some snacks and a blanket and sit on the beach while the sun rises over the sea. It’s purely magical, super cheap and a morning you’ll remember for years. Also a good excuse to get cringe pics on the beach for insta.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.