A Reclaim the Night protest is taking place on Newcastle campus on Thursday

The rally is a collaboration between Newcastle University ‘It Happens Here’ society and Women’s Street Watch NCL

Anyone with a social media account will have seen lots of marches in protest of male violence earlier this year as a result of the murder of Sarah Everard. One of those marches, called, “Reclaim the Night”, is happening in Newcastle this Thursday.

The march is a collaboration between Newcastle University society It Happens Here and Women’s Street Watch NCL and will see students and other activists march from Newcastle University down to monument. There’ll be a rally raising awareness for gender-based violence and promoting solidarity in the wake of the spiking epidemic.

The march coincides with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and also marks the start of the UN’s 16 Global Days of Activism against Gender-Based violence.

What time is the event being held?

Prior to the march, you have the chance to head to the SU to make a banner or placard to use for the march and rally.

The banner making session begins in the Students’ Union from 6pm and will continue till 9pm. The group will then meet under the university arches at 9pm, before marching to Grey’s Monument. The group will hold a moment of silence before conducting speeches from 9:45pm onwards.

Who is invited to attend?

The society promotes inclusivity, and so everyone is welcome to the event to show their solidarity. The group have (obviously) condemned misogyny, racism, transphobia, ableism and physical violence. Guest speakers are welcome, and the group have encouraged people to reach out and get involved in any way they can through the society Instagram page.

Is there a dress code?

The group are keen on prioritising comfort, but some people are going to dress up as if on a night out to represent the cause. It’s going to be a chilly night, so make sure you’re keeping warm and ready to be on your feet for an hour or so.

Is the event accessible?

The route has been designed to be accessible for all. The organisers encourage people to get in touch with them with any accessibility requirements and attendees are encouraged to bring along any accessibility aids. The organisers also encourage protesters to bring along water to keep hydrated.

You can follow @ithappensherencl on Instagram to keep updated. We hope to see as many students as possible in attendance to show solidarity with the women of Newcastle.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.