Six independent cafes in Newcastle that you should be supporting

Independent businesses need our help.

Independent businesses are always a great way to support your local community and to try something different to what you are used to.

Newcastle offers so many alternate independent food businesses, which you should deffo be trying this coming semester.

As the autumn draws in and summer comes to an end, what’s better than finding a cute little coffee shop to chill in with your friends or finding the best baguette in town.

Here are six independent cafes you should be supporting in Newcastle, heading into the new uni year.

Denes Deli

Denes Deli is a local sandwich shop that should deffo be on your list of places to support. Located next to Jesmond Dene, the deli offers a vast range of sandwiches with a massive menu.

With friendly staff and efficient service, Denes Deli is an affordable yet high quality sandwich shop. It won the Sammies Gold Award in 2014 and offers handmade sweet treats as well as savoury options too.

If you fancy a sweet treat, their freshly baked tray bakes accompany a sandwich on the way to the library perfectly. Denes’ also offers a vast amount of alternative options, from bacon and syrup pancakes to salad bowls.

Les Petits Choux

Another local business that you should help support after lockdown is the family run cafe Les Petits Choux.

The small, intimate cafe, ran by a mother and her two daughters, is the perfect spot for a coffee catch up with a friend, located next to St James Park, so very close to the City Centre.

The family makes lots of impressive patisseries, tarts and cakes. The menu boasts a wide range of choice, so whether its coffee and a cake or lunch you’re after, Les Petits Choux is the perfect place.

Cafe Bar One

A personal favourite, Cafe Bar One is a small cafe located next to Jesmond Dene. This local business is a very affordable yet high quality cafe bar that is especially good for breakfast.

Their breakfast baps are a classic go-to and the menu even offers smoothies, made from fresh fruit and freshly made ice teas.

Cafe Bar one also sells frozen ready meals perfect for if you’re in a rush or know that it will be a late night in the library. You should definitely check them out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO97iKbrVpI/

Pink Lane Bakery

Pink Lane bakery is situated both in Gosforth and the city centre. The bakery makes its own pastries and bread as well as many other delicious delicacies freshly baked each day.

With their own electric van and cargo bike, the bakery is not only environmentally friendly but also has a stall at the Jesmond Food Market, where you can grab some of their produce every first and third Saturday of each month.

Jams, chutneys and other locally sourced produce from Northumbrian Pantry are also sold at the bakery – you can help support even more local businesses as well as being able to pick up your very own Pink Lane Bakery tote bag.

Bait

If you’re in the City Centre then Bait is a great sandwich and hot drinks shop that you should visit.

It offers a vast range of sandwiches, with different choices of bread and also sells jacket potatoes and breakfast options. Tea and coffee options are available too, from flat whites to mochas – soya milk can be used as an alternative too.

There are a wide variety of vegetarian sandwich options too, including feta and roast pepper, hummus and falafel and halloumi. This independent Newcastle business has something for everyone.

Unlike many other sandwich shops in Newcastle, this one isn’t just takeaway. There is also outside catering available, meaning you can sit and have a catch up with your friends or study with a sandwich too.

Super Natural Cafe

Super Natural Cafe is a vegan cafe, bar and restaurant in Newcastle city centre.

The business is a cafe by day and on weekends, is open late, as it serves as a cocktail bar. The cocktails range from Moscow mule to a freshly made lemonade sangria and so if you’re looking for more of a relaxed atmosphere then this independent business is a go to for a cocktail night.

During the daytime, the cafe offers both vegan breakfast and lunch options and on Thursdays you can grab any pizza and a pint or glass of wine for £10.

With many deals and a range of meal options, Super Natural Cafe should be a local business you are supporting this coming academic year.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.