The eight best (and worst) things about being single in Newcastle

We all just want someone to go two for one with x

Let us guess – you came to uni with the dream that you’d most likely meet the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with, either on your course or at a halls party? Us too. Sadly, that’s not the reality for most and with lockdown just easing, most of us singles are feeling more single than ever. Never fear though, being single has plenty of advantages, especially in the lively Toon. These are the eight best and worst things about being single in Newcastle.

It feels like everyone is coupled up

Being single at the minute can feel like you missed the lockdown memo where everyone decided to get into a relationship. All of your go-to “you up?” text recipients are suddenly all loved up and you can be left wondering why you have no one to go to the Quayside market followed by drinks and Instagram boasting at Slug and Lettuce with. The very worst of the worst things about being single.

You get to have the most fun

If you’re feeling glum about being single, let us remind you: clubs are opening back up in June. Dust off your flirting skills for hot Geordie summer because it’s going to be huge, and if you were in a relationship, you wouldn’t get to have nearly as much fun. Table of cuties next to you in Blanc offering to buy you drinks? Staying out at Oops until three in the morning? Spontaneous afters at a house full of rugby lads? Your options are endless because when you’re single, you have no one to answer to.

You can play on Tinder

It may not get you many successful dates but Tinder is very entertaining. Newcastle Tinder is a prime example: with a selection of rahs, polys, gym fanatics and promoters all asking what you’re looking for on the app, you’re almost spoilt for choice.

You end up matching with everyone

Tinder does sort of lose it’s appeal once your newly single mates are swiping hotties you matched two months ago, whilst you, the eternal single, are sifting through the bottom of the barrel. Double cringe if it reaches the point where you can’t even walk down Osborne Road without seeing at least three people you’ve had a failed talking stage with.

Tinder fear is too real

You don’t have to share food

When you’re single, you’re under no obligation to share your hoisin duck loaded fries on a night out at STACK. Need we say more?

You don’t have anyone to do two-for-one drinks with

There is no greater pain than having to do two-for-one by yourself and ending up with two of the same cocktail instead of mix and matching. The task of getting through Beach Box’s entire menu on a Tuesday feels almost impossible as a single, making the longing for a drinking partner that little bit greater. On the plus side, you can always convince your bestie to share with you while you wait for your perfect match.

It can get really lonely

Being single can be lonely, especially if all your flatmates are in relationships. Whilst they’re all out getting Sunday snuggles after a night out, you may often find yourself watching Mamma Mia in bed with a bottle of red wine and a takeaway – and that’s okay.

You get to spend more time focusing on yourself

One definite upside of being single is all of the free time. You can spend more time working, studying, gymming or even more time with your friends and you’ll definitely miss it once you get together with someone. Go on that jog round the Dene or get your deadlines done early because once you’re in a relationship, you won’t want to leave their side.

Overall, being single has its highs and lows but it isn’t actually too bad. Chances are, you’re going to meet someone eventually so you might as well enjoy it while you can.