Newcastle Uni is preparing to stop on-campus teaching due to coronavirus

The Vice-Chancellor emailed students this afternoon

Newcastle University has announced they are making plans to switch teaching from on-campus to online after the Easter break following the continuous severity of coronavirus.

In an email from the Vice-Chancellor and President, Prof. Chris Day, the university has revealed it is planning to deliver teaching materials in an online format from the 27th April.

This update follows yesterday’s announcements that Newcastle University is to remain open until the end of term and that Northumbria University is to stop on-campus teaching from Monday.

The email from Prof. Day reiterates that “the intention of the University is to continue to deliver teaching on campus until the end of the Spring Term”, but acknowledges the need to “plan now for future scenarios in this period of transition in the likely event that the [Public Health England] guidance will change”.

The email to students also said “our aim is to ensure that the University continues to support our students. To enable this, we are putting in place for staff, guidance and resources to help them, where possible, move to the delivery of teaching materials online”.

Despite the university remaining open until the end of term, the university has also announced that attendance will not be monitored during this time for students that put in an Absence Request Form.

“Naturally, we want our students to remain at the University to take advantage of their learning opportunities for the remainder of the Spring Term. However, we recognise that some students may have underlying health conditions, be vulnerable, or may wish or be required to return home.

“For these students, the University will allow an immediate two week leave of absence period to cover the remainder of the term. Students who wish to leave the University must submit an Absence Request Form which should be retained by the School Manager for future reference.”

Newcastle University have confirmed that they will issue daily updates regarding coronavirus and the university.

The Newcastle Tab will follow this situation as it continues to unfold.

Featured image: SWNS stock image

Know something? Send tips to [email protected]

Want to break stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.