Northumbria Uni is to stop face-to-face teaching due to coronavirus

Online teaching is to begin on Monday

Northumbria University has announced an end to classroom-based teaching in an effort to stop the spread of coronavirus, beginning on Monday 16th March.

While university buildings, including libraries and student services, are to remain open for now, an email sent to students from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor has stated that face-to-face lectures and seminars are to be replaced with online delivery.

The news follows Newcastle University’s announcement that it is to remain open despite the spread of the disease.

The email from Deputy Vice-Chancellor Prof. Peter Francis read:

“The health, safety and wellbeing our staff and students remain our number one priority. We are also doing everything possible to ensure that the University protects its core activities of education, research and the student experience. In challenging times that we are now in with Covid 19, we must plan for a variety of scenarios to ensure we are prepared, if the need arises, to take the necessary steps to protect colleagues and students.”

“As much activity as possible will move onto our virtual learning platform, Blackboard, to ensure that you are able to continue with your studies.”

“We recognise that many of you rely on laboratories, workshops and other practical facilities, and we will make these available as long as is feasible. We are currently reviewing the options open to us on module assessments and examinations”

“[T]his is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we believe it is in the best interests of you, your fellow students, our staff and the wider community”.

Northumbria University will contact students with any further information.

More to follow as this crisis continues.

Know something? Send tips to [email protected]

Want to break stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.