Image may contain: Face, Display, Monitor, Screen, Human, Person, Cell Phone, Phone, Electronics, Mobile Phone

Spotify made a ‘Sound of Newcastle Uni’ playlist and it’s rogue AF

A.K.A. how to make a really questionable pres playlist

Did you know there's a playlist called "The Sound of Newcastle University"? Well there is. It's produced by The Sounds of Spotify Colleges, and based on the vaguely-described "student listening patterns and math", the selection is said to reflect "crushes and discoveries from Newcastle University".

So what actually is on it? Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's an eclectic, schizophrenic and often downright terrible mix of songs. Play this at pres and your friends will correctly hurl abuse at you until you put something else on.

Now, there are some worthy contenders among the rubble. Just Jack’s "Starz in Their Eyes" and Kate Nash's "Foundations" are stone-cold classics, and we'd be surprised if any Newcastle student has been to a pres this year without hearing the Mella Dee classic "Techno Disco Tool".

The "math" used to select the songs appears to be questionable, however. For starters, there's an overwhelming amount of Mediocre Indie Rock here (we're looking at you, Courteeners), suggesting that Spotify did most of their research on people heading to Dog & Parrot or Rebel @ theCUT.

In fairness, there are some quality indie tunes here too. But as good as they may be, the likes of Easy Life are certainly underrated – can that many Newcastle students really be listening to them on the reg? We doubt it.

Obviously, we were expecting quite a few Tyneside-based artists to get a mention. Sure enough, Sam Fender shows up, and he's definitely earned his place here.

But then we move on to Buzzcock's local classic "Smash Ya Pastie", a very NSFW (but hilarious) ode to the women of Newcastle. We can only assume that every Geordie at uni is showing it to all their southern mates at every given opportunity. In that case, fair enough.

Other questionable entries include more than one Shy FX track featuring in the top 50, enough people finding Scouting for Girls to be relevant in 2020 and of course, The Hunna.

Worst of all though is "Home Newcastle", taken from an album of Toon Army Tunes. Seriously, who on EARTH is listening to that?

If you want to subject yourself and your friends to all of this, you can here. We hope you're never put in charge of the aux again.