Image may contain: Person, People, Human

The best hidden study spots in Newcastle to get you out of the library

Say goodbye to The Robbo and study in style

Exam period is just around the corner, which means it’s time to get out of Revs and into your revision time table.

Staying in the Phillip Robinson library for hours each day can be tedious to say the least. Being surrounded by stressed out students, all eating the same overpriced cheese and ham panini can send anyone crazy – especially when hungover. The only solution, in our eyes, is to find somewhere you truly feel comfortable, chilled and productive.

Here’s a list of all the cafe’s and secret spots where you can really get your head down before your summer exams.

Cafes

Finding a cute cafe to set up in can be the best way to get work done. Get some real coffee instead filling your paper coffee cup from the old coffee machine… yuck.

1. Camber Coffee

Secret Location #1. Located above 'Start Bicycles' bike store on Grainger Street. This cafe sells great coffee, and healthy snacks for some brain fuel. You can sit on the old bus seats that have been recycled into sofas, or sit next to the window and watch the world go by at the view of the streets of Newcastle.

Image may contain: Keyboard, Pc, Laptop, Electronics, Computer, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

2. The Quay Ingredient

Fancy a nice view while you try recall facts from your cue cards? The Quay Ingredient is the perfect spot for a chilled revision session. This trendy cafe will sort you out through the day with a full english to give you some energy.

3. Flat Caps Coffee

Us students love a cute, cosy and indie cafe. This coffee shop is like no other, the urban design and chilled atmosphere is perfect for getting your laptop out and catching up on some readings.

Image may contain: Wood, Plywood, Cafe, Restaurant, Room, Interior Design, Indoors, Dining Room, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Couch, Furniture, Chair

4. Good Old Quilliam's

It goes without saying that The Quilliam Brothers cafe is the most chill cafe in Newcastle. Swap your office chair for a cupple of pillows and have yourself a relaxed revision space. Sit on the floor underground or stay up top in the chilled cafe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRt45z-FLtL

Secret Spots

Finding a chilled place away from a computer cluster can make you feel more relaxed about your studies. Here's a list of some spots that you can get away from some of that stress and revise in peace.

1. Leazes or Exhibition Park

The north east was blessed with a few days of 20 degree heat last week, which meant we were all sacking off lectures for a couple of tinnies, and some vitamin D. But why not bring the revision with you? Leazes Park or the Exhibition park are both walking distance from uni. Here you can settle with your pals on the grass while the weather is heating up, turn up the music, chill and study. All the fun, without the stress.

2. Quayside Seaside

Ever wish you were on the beach, taking in the rays with a cold beer instead of sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen? You can do that at the Quayside Seaside! This pop up beach is loaded with comfy deck chairs, sand and palm trees. Feel like you’re at the maldives while you read from your lecture notes. Maybe even pick up some halloumi fries and a mojito at the beachside bar.

Image may contain: Shoe, Footwear, Clothing, Person, People, Human

3. Newcastle City Library

It’s true, sometimes forcing yourself to sit in silence in a library can be the perfect way to be productive. But sticking to the same spot every day will make you go mad. The Newcastle City Library has several floors which gives you all the space in the world to choose from. There are also windows everywhere which just makes it even more pleasant to study in on a sunny day. However, it doesn’t have robbo’s 24/7 opening times, so if you’re a night owl, this option may not be for you.

4. Level 2 of the SU

Since being at uni I've definitely neglected the amount of study space we are provided outside the main library. Recently, one of my favourite spots has got to be the top floor of the Students' Union. This area is filled with comfy sofas, work pods for group meetings and isolated spaces with PCs for concentration. It's a plus being able to stay on campus to use the wifi, not the mention the Starbucks as well.

Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human

Credit to nusu.co.uk

So even though you may end up just procrastinating over the coffee menu and have to sit yourself back down in a Robbo booth, hopefully these spots will chill you out and prepare you for your, all important, summer exams and assignments.

Photo Credit: Lucy Crisp (www.lucycrisp.co.uk)