Image may contain: Bottle, Music, Leisure Activities, Person, People, Human

Owner of World Headquarters awarded honorary degree from Newcastle University

The same honour Dr Martin Luther King received

In 1967, Newcastle University awarded Dr Martin Luther King with an Honorary Doctorate of Civil Law – the only British university to do so during his lifetime.

Now Newcastle University are offering the same prestigious award to World Headquarter's owner, Tom Caulker.

Image may contain: Cotton, Person, People, Human

In a letter from the University to Mr Caulker, they wrote:

"This award will be made in recognition of your achievements in promoting multiculturalism and equality and the positive influence you have had on generations of young people in the city."

Though many of us just see WHQ as the home to the likes of Soul Jam, Exhale and a massive range of incredible artists, a lot of people aren't aware of the ethos surrounding this number one Underground Club.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

WHQ has a history spanning over three decades and the Trent, on Leazes Lane, that we know now was owned by Tom Caulker for twenty-five years until 2009. On the WHQ website he writes:

"Having to stand up against racism from day one has had a big effect, on the way both the Trent & WHQ developed.

"Having an overtly anti racist, pro harmony, unifying stance & clearly communicating that to people, has always set us apart in Newcastle.

"Nowhere else shares our experiences, which have formed us into people happy to embrace unity & promote it honestly, as part of what we are & what we wish to represent."

Over the years, Tom Caulker and his team have worked incredibly hard to ensure World Headquarters is a space where everyone is welcome no matter their race, religion, sexuality or gender.

And it appears that the perseverance of Tom and his friends to make an all-inclusive ethos an unwavering constant at WHQ, is receiving the recognition it absolutely deserves.

Tom Caulker left this message on his Facebook page:

"Thank you Newcastle University & thank you all our friends across Newcastle, across the decades & around the World x

It was a day for the outsiders, a day for us & me – is we!!

Keep on Keeping on x."

Big love to WHQ for doing what they're doing and a massive congratulations to Tom Caulker for receiving this much-deserved honour in the name of equality and love.

If you want to find out more about Tom Caulker and WHQ, go check out this documentary now available on All 4

Photos by Aaron Shaquille Carlton and JJ Oxberry Hogg