Newcastle is up two places in the official university rankings

We’re now the 23rd best Uni in the UK

The Complete University Guide’s new league table of the finest higher learning facilities in the UK has seen Newcastle move up two places to 23rd. It means Newcastle University is now level with Edinburgh and just one place behind Manchester.

Meanwhile, Northumbria rose 4 places to 55th, Sunderland are now 102nd, and Teeside 101st.

Cambridge and Oxford remained 1st and 2nd respectively, while St Andrews moved into the top 3.

Durham once again outstripped its North East rivals by maintaining 6th place in the guide, which ranks 140 UK universities on a number of criteria including how their graduates fare in the job market and how much they invest in facilities.

The guide highlights Newcastle’s record of graduate employment, stating that 94% of 2015 UK/EU graduates were in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating.

The North East as a region performed very well overall, as it was the only area where every university either climbed or maintained its position.

The results show Newcastle slowly returning to its most recent height of 20th place in 2015.