Some Newcastle students have set up their own version of The Bullingdon Club

It’s called the Bedale Club

| UPDATED exclusive

Posh kids at Newcastle have been running an elite dining club – set up in imitation of the infamous Bullingdon Club.

The Bedale Club, named after the Point to Point in Yorkshire, claims to trash restaurants and throw £7K cash in the air at a typical dinner party.

Now, a photo has surfaced of the seven-year-old society posing in their suits – exclusively revealing the faces of its eight members.

Oxford Uni’s Bullingdon Club, now known to many as the Riot Club, are famed for smashing up restaurants and paying for the damage later. The club’s esteemed alumni includes Prime Minister David Cameron, Boris Johnson and George Osborne.

Now, an uncovered invitation letter describes Newcastle’s answer to the notorious dining society as an “addled pursuit of dining and drinking amongst other ‘raised brow’ activities”.

And a photo reveals the faces of the Bedales, who are claiming to be just as reckless as the buller boys.

A former member of the club exclusively tells The Tab: “At a Bedale dinner four years ago, the members wrecked a well-known Newcastle Hotel dining room, after which one member left £7,000 in cash to pay for the damages.”

We are told it was thrown in the air as they left.

The secret society gather once a month to dine in tailcoats at secret locations. Initiations are said to include buying 10 bottles of champagne from bars in Newcastle – before going on to smash them all.

The source told The Tab: “One prospective member was put on the train to Truro in Cornwall, and they woke up in Plymouth.”

One Leazes student tells us that part of the initiation is involves the initiate’s room being trashed “sometimes beyond repair”.

The initiate letter

The name “Bedale” is taken from the Point to Point in Yorkshire, and their crest is a boar’s head. Their dinners follow an old fashioned tradition including fine wine and cheese in white or back tie.

But despite their behaviour, the initiation letter claims that the club is “in no way intended to be an exercise in snobbery, as given in the charter of our constitution”.

The academic work of the members is also monitored by the club. The initiate letter demands that “as a Bedale, you will conform to your duties both academically and within the chapters of this club”.

The Tab unfortunately does not have access to “the constitution”.

The secrecy of the group is something that is taken very seriously by the club. Members “are reminded to keep complete discretion from anyone who is NOT affiliated with the Bedale” and “use of social media mediums (other than the given group page) to promote Bedale is strictly forbidden”.

Membership to the club is granted solely upon selection of it’s members and approval by all members of the club – especially the president.

The letter in full

Dear Mr…,

On behalf of the Chairman, President and the Old Boys, I warmly welcome you into the Bedale Dining Club.

As an Honourable Bedale (as you will be known), you will be committed to engage and fulfil all norms and traditions as enshrined in our constitution and by virtue of selection from any senior member.

As a Bedale, you will conform to your duties both academically and within the chapters of this club.

Upon your completed initiations and where you were made a Bedale, your membership lays within the tradition of what was prescribed to you on that given day.

As an honourable member of this club, you are reminded to keep complete discretion from anyone who is NOT affiliated with the Bedale.

The reason for the intentional discretion and secrecy is due to “ensure privacy for the addled pursuit of dining and drinking.” and amongst other ‘raised brow’ activities.

Use of social media mediums (other than the given group page) to promote Bedale is strictly forbidden. It is also to be noted that “The club is in no way intended to be an exercise in snobbery” as given in the charter of our constitution.

Your membership is valid upon adhering to our constitution and completion of your initiations and fulfilling any forfeits that may come your way.

A copy of the constitution will be made available to you in due time. Sub fees and dining costs will be incurred upon arrival to a formal dinner, unless stated otherwise.

You will be required to dress in black tie on every formal. Should any of the above require clarification, please stress any concerns to your Chairman and President.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for your patience and thus formally recognise you as an Honourable Bedale from hereon.