Tab parties with Tempa T

When Taboo Tuesdays at Perdu organised an event with a live performance from Tempa T, we went to see what all the hype was about.

tabtempa

Nicky Nyarko-Dei (aka Tempa T and Tempz) a British Grime artist widely known for his UK single “Next Hype”, his collaboration with Chase and Status in “Hypest Hype” and his appearance in the 2009 British film Shank.

The initial expectation of the night was one of uncertainty; there was a strange calm before the storm settling in amongst the crowd. Aside from a few drunken revellers mistaking a friend of mine for the real Tempa T and asking for pictures (which provided momentary amusement) nothing much was happening, however at around 12AM the mood all changed with the arrival of the man himself.

The crowd instantly came to life; Tempa T’s arrival was like a spark that triggered a flame. There was a degree of aggression and excitability which could instantly be felt through his infectious lyrics. Some killer shapes were being thrown to “Hypest Hype” and I am pretty sure quite a few people were elbowed in the face.

Sadly after a few songs Tempz was done, his performance finished disappointingly quickly, a bit like a premature ejaculation, the crowd was left feeling a little disappointed and craving more – luckily a DJ was on hand to provide some much needed anthems.

There were some varied responses to Tempa T’s performance, he was a bit like marmite… in a way that you either love him or hate him. Some individuals failed to form words and instead resorted to shouting obscene language and strange phrases at me.

“Sick, Peng, ga$$, ga$$, Hype, TEEEEMPZ, nah blud” (the $ were especially requested) Alex Bennett, 19, Northumbria University

“Very manly, a lot of Testosterone flowing, uncomfortable for girls”- Molly Turner, 19, Newcastle University.

So what did the man of the hour think of the night?

“’I was going to drive up, do my thing and drive back to London. But this is sick, get the drinks in and get some birds over here. The vibe is next hype”- Tempa T on Newcastle Nightlife.

Translation: My brother, what was Newcastle talking about? Madness family Proper explosive atmosphere. Crowd was on one laugh out loud.

“I had to take him to his hotel room at 3am and drag him out of the club as the lights had come on”- Will Cooper on Tempa T.