More wet research from UoL as 3rd year finds scream power could be a reality

Always watching Wazowski, always watching

Just when you thought Leicester science projects couldn’t get any more frivolous, third year scientist Osarenkhoe Uwuigbe has taken the top prize for random research.

Inspired by the Pixar classic Monsters Inc., ingenious Osarenkhoe calculated that it is possible for the UK’s energy needs to be met by screams alone. But only if we scream a hell of a lot louder.

The third year, who’s starting his masters this September, found that by multiplying the average person’s daily energy usage in Britain by the recorded population, that he was able to come up with a rough estimate of the amount of energy needed to meet Britain’s requirements.

Osarenkhoe wrote the paper as part of a third year module

But because the UK uses a significant amount of energy, everyone in the country would have to scream 2,800,000,000 times a day at the highest volume humanly possible.

Could Mike and Sully be on their way to a power station near you?

Powering the entire country through scream power would therefore only be possible if humans were able to scream at a far higher volume – or if the population of the country increased.

Osarenkhoe told The Tab:”I was looking at my options for this module, and they were all music or film related.

“I had just finished watching Monsters Inc., so I thought it might as well do that

“To be honest, it has ruined the Disney magic for me, I’m now going to take all their films with a pinch of salt.”

Uwuigbe presented his findings in a paper for the Journal of Interdisciplinary Science Topics, the hotly anticipated Journal of Interdisciplinary Science Topics, a student-only publication which features other riveting research topics such as “Water Requirements on the Journey Through Mordor.” and “How much of the Amazon would it take to print the internet?

Dr Cheryl Hurkett from the University of Leicester’s Centre for Interdisciplinary Science said: “An important part of being a professional scientist is the ability to make connections between the vast quantity of information students have at their command, and being able to utilise the knowledge and techniques they have previously mastered in a new or novel context.