Baseball Star goes from Pitch to Ditch

Former professional baseball player Brad Lidge enrolls on a distance learning Masters degree with the University of Leicester.

| UPDATED america archaeology baseball Brad Lidge leicester

Former professional baseball player Brad Lidge exchanges his baseball glove for an archaeologist’s trowel with Leicester University.

American baseball star Brad ‘Lights Out’ Lidge, a former professional pitcher, has enrolled on a long distance Masters course in Archaeology at the University of Leicester.

Lidge in action for the Phillies

Lidge competed in Major League Baseball from 2002 until his retirement in December 2012, pitching for the Houston Astros, Philadelphia Phillies, and Washington Nationals.

Lidge had a distinguished career, most notably sealing the Phillies’ World Series win in 2008 – their first World Series victory since 1980.

That year also saw him win various awards, including the MLB Comeback Player of the Year, DHL Delivery Man of the Year (any Royal Mail talent scouts around?), and was voted by fans as the MLB Closer of the Year.

However, following a poor season in 2009 and plagued with injuries, Lidge decided to retire from Major League Baseball. The video explains things:

Later in his career and post-retirement, Lidge turned towards his academic studies. Before turning pro, he attended the University of Notre Dame. Since his retirement he has taken online courses with Regis University, showing a keen interest in religious archaeology.

Brad Lidge isn’t the only famous athlete from across the pond studying at Leicester either. Major League Soccer star Zak Boggs joined the uni last year as part of the Fulbright scholarship programme and is currently researching potential cancer cell treatments.

Boggs competed with the University of Leicester Football Club in the varsity match, but unfortunately the Leicester team failed to overcome DMU.

Lidge pitching for the Washington Nationals.

Lidge is studying his Masters course at Leicester via distance learning from Boulder, Colarado, which unfortunately means he’ll miss out on all of the sights and delights Leicester has to offer.

Sure, Colorado might have breathtaking views and great weather, but what about the experience of staggering out of Red Leicester at 5:00am having lost both your money and your dignity? Or sampling the Michelin rated eateries of TJs or Maryland Chicken?

It’s all part and parcel of the Leicester experience!