12 iconic Chase moments Lancs students can relate to

Let’s be honest, most of them are just Bradley Walsh

Ah, The Chase. Forever the nation’s favourite quiz show (unless you’re a fan of Pointless or The Wheel), and by far, the nation’s funniest. Between Bradley Walsh barely being able to hold it together when there’s an even slightly suggestive sounding question (Doz Plums, anyone?), and contestants who hardly know how the show works, we’ve had a brilliant 12 years of classic British shenanigans.

And what else can classic British shenanigans relate to but university life? Here, we’ve boiled down the 12 most iconic moments from the Chase that Lancs students can relate to.

1. Nobody will answer the question

For some reason, nobody on one panel of contestants knew what a Cadbury Flake was. Bradley had a very painful (very recognisable) moment where he asked for answers, and nobody responded. Whilst this can still happen in in-person seminars, it’s nowhere near as painful as it was when it was online.

2. ‘Well, it is difficult, especially if you haven’t seen it before’

Here, Bradley chastises Joey Essex, who has come onto the Chase without ever seeing the show before. Bradley Walsh always has some wise words, and these can translate directly to anyone who’s wondering why they didn’t understand the lecture when they never did the reading.

3. Fanny Schmelar

Starting us off with the iconic Chase moment, Bradley Walsh’s inability to hold back his laughter after having to read the rather unfortunately named German skier, Fanny Schmelar, might at first seem difficult to relate to Lancaster. But have you ever had to hold in your laughter when your mate texts you something funny whilst you’re in a lecture? Excruciating.

4. ‘Can I ask you a question?’ ‘I’ll get it wrong?’

Katherine Ryan is every Lancs student when they’re picked on during a seminar or lecture. Yeah, you can ask me a question. No, I won’t get it right. You should have thought of that before you asked.

5. ‘Oh, I don’t have to say it, do I?’

My personal favourite Chase contestant of all time, Pearl, said this after she answered a question out loud during a button pressing round. Lancs students have been known to say this one to bus drivers who already know that they’re going to be asking for an under-19 day rider.

6. Bradley Walsh has an Office moment

Bradley Walsh staring at the camera after the Chaser (for some reason) tries to impress the contestant with his flawless pronunciation of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious gave me flashbacks to watching coursemates compliment lecturers on their research. They know they’re good. They won’t give you a better grade for sucking up to them.

7. Jonny wins £40k and immediately says he’s going to spend it all at the student bar

Jonny is a legend and in our top 10 Chase contestants for his winning answer alone. You could buy over 20,000 VKs at Sugar with that kind of money. Or you could pay off a good bulk of your loan. But 20,000 VKs sound more fun.

8. Bradley Walsh pretends to vomit

Bradley vomits after Anne Hegerty comments, saying she wanted to lick a contestant. Yes, that actually happened.

Lancs students are vomiting after watching students being entirely over-affectionate on the Spine. These seminar rooms have big windows. I’m trying to talk about Kafka. Please take it to your flat.

9. ‘I don’t wanna brag, but I’m currently level 19 on Pokemon Go’

After answering a Pokemon question in point two seconds, this guy did want to brag. It’s heavily reminiscent of some lad in Sugar shouting into your ear about how many goals he scored at rugby on Wednesday. Nobody cares, Josh.

10. ‘Do you know sometimes you wish you’d never started a conversation?’

Yes, here, Bradley Walsh is talking about a conversation about Anne Hegerty having to get the train home. But don’t tell me you’ve never started talking about the library and had to endure a 20-minute rant from someone who doesn’t think first years should be allowed in. Why must we all have opinions about this?

11. Bradley Walsh collapses and dies

Real footage of Lancs students arriving home after a night at Sugar.

12. Bradley Walsh shouts, ‘HAS IT BEEN RAINING?’

Of course, it has, Bradley. It’s Lancaster.

Related articles recommended by this writer