LUSU VP Activities appointed as Interim President

Victoria Hatch will take over from George Nuttall

Following the dismissal of George Nuttall as President of Lancaster University Students’ Union, and the resignations of Grishma Bijukumar (VP Welfare and Community), Lydia Moodycliffe (VP Women+), and Mitch Boocock (VP LGBTQ+), Victoria Hatch has been appointed as Interim President.

Having already taken over from one officer this year – she was elected in a by-election, following the resignation of Ben Evans as VP Activities – Hatch is set to assume the role of President until a further by-election will be held to determine who will be elected as President of the Union.

In a statement released today, Lancaster University Students’ Union have said: “Victoria Hatch, VP Activities, has been appointed Interim President of Lancaster University Students’ Union and Chair of the Trustee Board. 

“The Trustee Board asked Victoria to step into this role to ensure the continued representation of students and democratic governance of the Union.

“The Board has expressed its thanks to Victoria for agreeing to fulfil these duties in the interests of students at such short notice. We would also like to extend our thanks to Bee and Lewis for their continued hard work and for picking up additional duties to ensure students are represented.”

Upon accepting the position, Hatch said: “We are facing an extremely challenging time as a Students’ Union, as Interim President and Chair of the Trustee Board I want to do everything I can to act with our students’ best interests at heart. Now is the time to look to the future of our Students’ Union, and do all we can to ensure we are democratic, transparent and providing key services to students. Many of the situations we are dealing with are unprecedented, but more than ever we need to embrace our Lancaster University community to support each other.”

Hatch will be in office as Interim President until 26th June, when the new Full-Time Officer team take up their positions for the next academic year.

An announcement is due to be made surrounding a by-election to determine the future of the LUSU Presidency.

(Featured Image: Lancaster University Students’ Union Twitter)