Biomedic’s horror car crash to feature on new BBC series

She’s ‘off her tits on morphine’ for most of the programme

999 car countryside crash morphine student

Elly Latif’s traumatising rescue from her barely recognisable Fiat Punto was shown on the new BBC series Countryside 999.

The Biomedical science student crashed her first car on returning home from a day out with friends at Flamingoland theme park, skidding head on into a 18 tonne lorry.

The accident, which happened on the 25th April 2014, was a result of a slippy road surface due to heavy rain and Latif taking a bend to quickly.

Elly, who was 19 at the time of the accident, said: “The roads were terrible, we came round the bend and skidded, wheels locked and we were gone. I couldn’t steer us out of the path of the wagon.

“I was in hospital for two weeks, and I’m still in recovery now. My first operation wasn’t as successful as we hoped and I had a second surgery in October.”

The new programme shows Elly being airlifted by Yorkshire Air Ambulance to Hospital with multiple injuries including a broken femur, a shattered elbow, broken ribs and bruised lungs.

The top of her car had to be sawn off by fire rescue services, to allow paramedics to pull her out of the wreckage.

Luckily, Elly is now back studying at Lancaster and working a part-time job.