Uber are giving out free rides to polling stations

Cities offering free rides include London, Manchester and Leeds

Hide Images

Uber are helping out those who might have difficulty reaching the polling stations this general election by offering two free rides to and from polling stations.

The free trips are available to wheelchair users, people with disabilities and the elderly on any Uber Access or Uber Assist journeys up to the value of £10 between 7am and 10pm on Thursday 12th December.

The offer is available in seven UK cities; London, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool and Brighton.

The initiative was set up with the help of disability charities Scope, Whizz-Kid and Transport for All to support those who might require assistance getting from door-to-door in order to cast their vote, ensuring that all those who want to vote, can.

Kirsty Hoyle, from Transport for All, said:"Too often disabled people are isolated by societal barriers that limit their opportunities to participate in the parts of life that others take for granted and we hope this encourages everyone to get out and vote."

The project is based on the ‘Uber drives the Vote’ campaign launched in the US which was brought to the UK for the 2017 general election.

Existing users of Uber Assist and Uber Access can claim their free rides using the unique codes sent to them which will reduce the total of the trip to £0. New users can be sent the codes directly from the charities.