How easy is it to get a first on your course at King’s?

Basically we should all study Computer Science

Ever wondered how easy it is to get a first on your course at King's? Is it really a mythical thing that only happens to a rare few?

We asked King's for the statistics on last year's grade classifications for some of the most popular subjects and here's the results:

Image may contain: Measurements, Diagram, Word, Number, Symbol, Text, Menu, Plot

Percentage of people who achieved each grade in 2019

Computer science had the highest percentage of firsts at over 47%, with 66 out of 139 students achieving the top grade – it was the only subject we looked at where most of the graduates achieved a first.

In other popular subjects such as English, 23% of students got firsts, with 72% receiving 2:1s. That's just 37 out of 161 achieving the highest award and a much higher number of 116 getting an upper second class honours.

View this post on Instagram

My time at King’s College London has not been easy. I had to conquer my fears, deal with my own weaknesses and strengths, learning new parts of myself and letting go of old ones. I’ve been broken down, put back together and finally accepted that we’re never truly whole. I’ve met new friends, I learnt how to keep old ones, I cherished the good and the bad. I leave with a few regrets, but satisfied of what I’ve accomplished. I can truly say I lived a dream I had since I was a little girl. Not many people will be able to say that in their lifetime, and I’m so so grateful to everyone who allowed me to and supported me through everything. You know who you are. – – – #kcl #kingscollegelondon #kclgrad #classof2018 #graduate #londongrad #graduation #london #londonlife #lifeisstrange #laureata

A post shared by Andrea ? (@anditsreal) on

For Film Studies, a subject King's is particularly renowned for, the number of people who received is a 2:1 is just over double the amount who got a first. The same goes for Spanish where 25% get a first and 50% get a 2:1.

In Law more than 70% of students get a 2:1 with only 22% receiving a first. That's a massive majority of 103 out of 146 getting a 2:1 compared to just 33 getting a first.

Although these stats show it is definitely hard to achieve a first in most subjects, they also suggest it's rare to receive a 3rd – in fact you're far more likely to just fail.