Independent coffee shops in Cardiff that will fuel your daily lockdown walks

Walks are the new night out

At Christmas time, we gave you our ultimate list of coffee shops to visit. With the weather slowly improving, now is the time to make the most out of your daily walk and discover more amazing coffee shops around the city! In Cardiff, we’re blessed to have so many independents selling great tasting coffee and treats.

We’ve compiled a list of some of Cardiff’s amazing cafe’s that you should pay a visit to!

Secret Garden Café is perfect for that mid-walk coffee break

Instagram: @secretgardencf

Found in the middle of Bute Park, this is a must visit for your daily walks!  With their ever-changing display of goodies, including sweet and savoury choices, the Secret Garden cafe also offer sandwiches and pies, and a range of hot drinks! There are also vegan options available. Visit their Instagram for a host of cute dogs that visit them!

Opening Hours – Wednesday-Sunday 9.30am-4.30pm

Kemi’s at Pontcanna is a friendly family-run cafè

Instagram: @kemis_pontcanna

You can find this family-run wonder in Pontcanna, with their speciality coffee and a range of delicious cakes on offer. They also have an assortment of wraps, baguettes and salads to take-away. Situated near Llandaff Fields, Kemi’s is perfectly placed for your daily walk! Kemi’s also offers vegan and gluten free options.

Opening hours – Monday 9am-4pm, Thursday-Saturday 9am-4pm, Sunday 10am-4pm

BrØd serves the best Danish pastries in town

Instagram: @thedanishbakery

We’re lucky enough to be blessed with not one, but two Brod Danish bakeries around Cardiff: one in Pontcanna and the other in Penarth. This Danish Bakery is the perfect spot to pick up a coffee and a pastry to satisfy your cravings! They offer a range of traditional Danish pastries, including a traditional Kanel Sngel, a cinnamon filled and icing topped pastry. They also offer savoury treats and fresh bread! They do a great range of Easter sweet treats too! Grab a coffee or a herbal tea here on your next walk!

Opening hours – Tuesday-Saturday 9am-4pm

KIN+ILK is great for sustainable speciality coffee

Instagram: @kinandilk

This sustainable spot is currently open in Pontcanna for takeaway only. Here you will find directly traded speciality coffee, and some locally sourced goodies, including brunches, lunches and fresh pastries. You will also find a range of sandwiches and baguettes… Perfect for your lunchtime stroll!

Opening hours – Monday-Sunday 8am-4pm

Bricks ‘n’ Mortar does great smoothies too!

Instagram: @brodies_coffee

The sister to Brodie’s Coffee in Gorsedd Gardens, a spot you must visit! They offer ‘suspended’ drinks allowing you to pay for a drink that will go to a member of the homeless community! Bricks ‘n’ Mortar is located on North Road, now offering smoothies, cakes and sandwiches. Bricks ‘n’ Mortar should definitely be on your list!

Opening hours – Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm

Pettigrew Tea Rooms is the gem of Bute Park

Instagram: @pettigrewtea

You can find this vintage tearoom at the main entrance to Bute park where you can grab a seasonal hot drink and some amazing homemade baked goods, either savoury or sweet! Pettigrew is the perfect spot for your daily stroll through Bute Park, and you’ll have to walk to the other side of the park to find it, which is a good excuse to get those steps in!

Opening hours – Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm, Saturday-Sunday 9am-6pm

Pink Kiwi, Cardiff’s latest addition to the coffee and cake scene

Instagram: @pinkkiwicardiff

Pink Kiwi is a new addition to Crwys Road. Stop by and grab a coffee and one of the creative and exciting home-baked cakes on offer. If you aren’t craving cake, Pink Kiwi also offers overnight oats and chia pudding – there is something for every taste. This could be your new favourite spot!

Opening hours – Wednesday-Sunday 12pm-6pm

Corner Coffee does their donuts in style

Instagram: @cornercoffee_co

Find Corner Coffee on St Mary’s street, another perfect spot for a weekend Bute Park stroll. They offer speciality coffee, and some delicious, creative doughnuts. Pick up some treats for your walk this weekend! How good do those donuts look?

Opening hours – Friday-Sunday 9.30am-3pm

Crumbs is the cutest veggie spot

Instagram: @crumbskitchencardiff

This vegetarian kitchen is located in The Morgan Quarter arcade, and it is the perfect spot for a lunchtime trek. They offer a range of soups and quiches, and customisable salads! Stop by for a tasty, healthy lunch soon! You can have a browse in all the shops the arcades has to offer, even if you can’t go in. Treat yourself to lunch at Crumbs instead.

Opening hours – Monday-Friday 9am-4pm, Saturday 9am-4.30pm, Sunday 10am-3.30pm

By now, daily walks run the risk of being a mundane chore, but we hope this list helps you add a little spring in your step as you go on your next stroll. With so many options to choose from, there seems to be no better place to spend lockdown number three than Cardiff!