We asked and you answered: These are Cardiff students’ favourite live music venues

For when your playlist isn’t enough

Cardiff is home to a variety of venues, vital in upholding the local music scene. Whether you fancy some indie rock at Tramshed or headbanging to heavy metal at Fuel Rock Club, Cardiff has something for everyone.

If you’re feeling adventurous this evening, why not check out what’s going on in these local venues? Many hold gigs for less than £10, and some are even free – making for some perfect cheap evenings out for students.

Fuel Rock Club

“One of the best parts is that they have music-inspired drinks too, like Iron Maiden beer”, says Ella, a student at Cardiff University, studying media and communications.

Alongside the several markets held yearly and wild club nights on a Saturday, Cardiff students say Fuel is the ideal venue if you enjoy rock and metal music. It’s a small, intimate and accessible venue – perfect to immerse yourself in the heavy metal riffs. 

Fuel is incredibly welcoming and student-friendly, it is partnered with Cardiff University’s Goth, Rock, Industrial and Metal society. They even offer discounted drinks if you’re a part of it. Some mentioned their favourite part is the festivals held throughout the year, such as Eradication Festival or Bloodstock’s Metal 2 The Masses.

Location: 5 Womanby St, Cardiff CF10 1BR

Utilita Arena

“The atmosphere, the sound, the lights, it’s all insane”, says Izzy, a student at University of South Wales, studying fashion design.

Utilita Arena, sometimes known as Cardiff International Arena or the Motorpoint, is the second largest venue in Cardiff. Holding up to 7500 people, it has held some iconic concerts such as Nicki Minaj, Dua Lipa, Bring Me The Horizon and even The Prodigy. This is an unforgettable venue for many students, as well as the perfect location for a concert being right in the city center. Who wouldn’t want to walk back home after seeing Arctic Monkeys rather than being stuck in hours of traffic?

Location: Mary Ann St, Cardiff CF10 2EQ

The Moon

“Perfect venue for a gig if you’re going with your friends, plenty of space but not overcrowded”, says Maddie, a student at Cardiff University studying biomedical sciences.

Next to Fuel, The Moon is a 140-capacity venue loved by many students for its homely, friendly atmosphere – and the 10 per cent discount on drinks. Situated on Womanby Street, the venue has become synonymous with Cardiff’s live music scene – offering genres which range from folk, to hip hop, to alternative rock. The Moon was rescued in 2017 as a non-profit, accessible venue, making it a favourite among many students.

Location: 3 Womanby St, Cardiff CF10 1BR

Clwb Ifor Bach

“Queues are never too bad and the sound is always consistent and on-point”, says Jack, a student at Cardiff University studying physical geography.

Established in 1983, Clwb Ifor Bach has become an renowned live music venue for many students over the years and has held many notable concerts such as Declan McKenna, The Killers and Skrillex. If you have already been to one of the weekly club nights held at this venue, why not visit for a gig too?

It is a 380+ capacity venue often focusing on showcasing homegrown acts, the perfect place to support local artists in Cardiff.

Location: 11 Womanby St, Cardiff CF10 1BR

Tramshed

“The sound system at Tramshed is remarkable and that the staff are top-notch. They often hand out water and are quick to clean up sick, as well as keep a close eye on the crowd”, says Tom, a student at Cardiff University, studying computer science.

Only a few minutes walk from Cardiff Central train station, Tramshed is a much-loved music venue with a 1000 capacity. This venue is a favourite among many students and plenty are looking forward to the concerts upcoming this year, such as Florence Black and The Vivienne.

Location: Clare Rd, Cardiff CF11 6QP