We spoke to the Cardiff societies whose end-of-year trips have been cancelled

The plans of a social in Buda are long gone

Let’s face it, coronavirus is everywhere and it wasn’t going to be long before it made its way to Cardiff uni. The Six Nations have been disrupted, the Premier League has been postponed and worst of all, Cardiff uni societies have had to cancel their end-of-year trips and it is devastating.

After watching other unis cancel lectures, trips and literally everything else, Cardiff uni also banned international trips and we spoke to the societies who were affected by this decision.

Broadway Dance – Budapest

Broadway Dance has cancelled their trip to Budapest and members aren’t too pleased but know it’s the right step. President Ella Ferris said:

“It was cancelled because we saw the risk to be too great… We are all absolutely gutted but we know it’s the right thing to do as we had to put our health and the welfare of others first!”

To make matters worse, Broadway Dance had already paid for merch specifically designed for the Budapest trip. At least they’ll have the memories of almost going, right?

A member told The Cardiff Tab: “We are utterly devastated and having a funeral pub crawl to wear all our merch we had for the trip.” I mean, it’s better than doing nothing at all.

Ladies Football – Rimini, Italy

Another society affected is Cardiff University Ladies’ Football after they cancelled their trip to Rimini in Italy, which was meant to take place between 28th March to 3rd April. Vice-President Alicia Percival said:

“We’re gutted that our tour has been cancelled… It’s the first one that’s been organised in years so it would’ve been a great trip for all members! Hopefully, we can put something in place to make up for it.”

Mountaineering – Fontainebleau, France

The Mountaineering Society’s trip to Fontainebleau, France has been called off as the number of coronaviruses has been rising in the country.

A member of the club said: “As school trips and large gatherings are now being banned in France and the French government have advised not to travel abroad, unfortunately, we cannot take that chance and therefore have decided that the club affiliated trip will be called off”.

Surf Sports Society – Portugal

The Surf Sports Society are disappointed they won’t be riding the wave in Portugal any time soon, with a member saying “it’s just not worth the risk to our club members, but also it’s not fair to risk spreading anything to the most vulnerable of society when we have the chance to prevent it.”

It’s a crap way to end the year, but Cardiff societies understand that it’s definitely for the best. Perhaps a reunion in a year’s time when all the covid-talks have blown over is the best alternative.

Have you been directly affected by coronavirus? Email tips to [email protected]

Related stories recommended by these writers:

If you’re looking to isolate yourself from coronavirus, here’s some ideal places in Cardiff

Everything a Cardiff Uni student needs to buy for isolation 

Cardiff Uni lecturer criticised for email suggesting students shouldn’t be worried about coronavirus