Brookes closes investigation into rugby social where team ‘tried to get girls’ nudes’

The uni said it didn’t have any victims or witnesses to ’substantiate the allegation’

Oxford Brookes has closed the investigation into allegations made over the rugby club, saying it is “unable to take this specific investigation any further at this time and have closed the case.”

In December, allegations made over social media said there was a rugby social where “everyone had to try and get as many nudes from Brookes girls as possible.”

The Rugby Union says it has “ introduced new behavioural and events procedures” and a new disciplinary structure.

In a statement posted on their website, the university said: “Information was received relating to separate non Rugby Club related alleged incidents and behaviour, and we wish to thank everyone for submitting this information and feedback. However, to date, no victims of this specific, alleged incident have come forward and no witnesses to the alleged incident have come forward with information which substantiates the allegation made on social media.

“We are therefore unable to take this specific investigation any further at this time and have closed the case. However, should new information come to light, we will reopen the investigation.

“As part of our commitment to maintaining an inclusive and respectful culture, we will be investigating further the reports we have received of alleged unacceptable behaviour and practices; we are in the process of commissioning an independent review of Brookes Sport, including all clubs, to ensure that policies and practices promote the culture, behaviours and values we expect of all our students.”

The university also reminded students: “If any of our students, staff or our wider community, have concerns about behaviour or practices in any aspect of University life, we would encourage them to report them via our dedicated Report and Support tool.”

In response to the university’s investigation, Oxford Brookes Rugby Union said on Instagram: “There has been significant public interest in the club in recent months and we have refrained from commenting further while the investigation was taking place. However, we can now announce that during that time the club has undertaken a significant governance review with the support of an external body. Following this, we have introduced new behavioural and events procedures, as well as a new disciplinary structure with a direct reporting line to the University.

“OBURFC has made a decision to engage with Beyond Equality, an international charity with a specialism in gender equality, providing a greater level of impartiality and regulation than other organisations could offer. We felt this necessary due to significant threats of violence that have been made against members of OBURFC.”

Both statements come after both the university and Oxford Brookes Rugby Union announced that they were looking into allegations regarding a “rugby social where they tried to get girls’ nudes”.

In December, Oxford Brookes Rugby Union said: “We are investigating this along with the Union, and all relevant bodies. At this current time we have no comment to make.”

In December, the university said: “The university is aware of allegations circulating on social media. We take such allegations extremely seriously and are investigating them as a matter of urgency.”