I’m challenging gender roles, and looking fabulous while doing it

Would you do a double-take at a guy with glamorous make-up (and a beard)?

We all like to tell ourselves that we are liberal, open minded, tolerant people. I spent a day on campus fully clad in women’s make-up to gauge reactions and see whether we really are as modern as we like to tell ourselves.

When I first left The Space in the Union after having my greasepaint applied it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I took to the streets.  I had no idea what to expect and although I looked stunning, as evidence in some of these lovely pictures, I really was rather nervous.

Before…

Aaahhhhh!..fter

These worries weren’t completely unfounded. In the short 2 minute walk from the Union to class I got more than a few strange looks and double-takes. My first impression was , “So this is what it’s like being ridiculously hot…” Of course that wasn’t why people were staring but when you are walking down the street and realize that most who walk past you will stare in some way or another, it is quite daunting.

So, my first stop was the Anthropology common room. I walked in and several of my classmates and one of my lecturers were there to greet me. Upon being asked about the makeup I simply said “This is me from now on.” And guess what. Nobody batted an eyelid!

Needless to say I was very impressed with my fellow Anthropologists, but we are an open minded and somewhat bohemian lot. Either that or they were just being polite.

Then came class time. Did I mention it was a 2 hour tutorial?

It must have been a strange site to see me taking part in serious academic discussions while looking so, so…striking. My lecturer later said that she didn’t really find it that strange apart from the fact that it was a bit early in the day (to be looking so darn delicious).

It’s ok to feel confused guys.

The rest of the day was pretty much what I expected. Quite a mixed bag of reactions although anytime I spoke with anyone they didn’t even bring it up. And yet having said that, I found that walking past people out in the open was a different matter entirely.

When it comes to staring at people in the street there are most definitely two kinds of people; those who stare in a subtle, side-eye kind of way, and those who don’t bother with subtlety. I believe the phrase “Holy shit, what am I looking at?!” best describes this type of look. Sadly I received this quite often.

But it wasn’t all scathing stares and sideways glances, and I have to say that it was one of the most fun days I have had in a long time. It was fantastic interacting with people, friends and strangers alike, and not knowing how they would react.

One of my classmates simply erupted into irrepressible laughter (but she did say I looked pretty), whilst another said nothing until I brought it up to which he replied, “Oh, I thought you lost a bet.”

I also went to the library and, disappointingly enough, people were so engrossed in their pretending to be doing work that I barely got a sideways glance, although the lad on the PC across from me did steal a few confused stares.

Pay more attention to me!

Next stop was the Speakeasy where people were very polite and I didn’t feel as self conscious as I expected, although this was probably to do more with the dim lighting than anything else. Whilst there I did feel a few looks but nothing major.

At one stage I approached two rather masculine looking male friends who were sitting enjoying a pint and asked could I borrow the vinegar. What ensued was the most hilarious, and polite, “Ahem, aye no problem mate”, that I have ever received. Also, to the lad who went “Pfft!” when I walked past you in the toilets…jealousy is a terrible thing.

Remember what I said about challenging gender roles?

So, conclusions are in order I guess.

Firstly I would like to say that although this was a very fun experience, it was also quite nerve wrecking at times, and if it wasn’t for my two female friends accompanying me for the day (you know who you are), I would have found the day a lot harder. Some of the looks people give you really do make you quite self conscious, unless you are an attention whore of course.

After doing this I really do have a newfound respect for those men out there, LGBT or not, who choose to wear makeup or crossdress in their everyday lives. It takes an incredible amount of balls to be who you want to be, especially if this goes against social norms and expectations, so to those men out there I say, you have a lot more courage than most would give you credit for, and indeed a lot more than those who would try and tear you down.

Secondly to the people of Queen’s, and indeed Belfast in general, I have to say that pleasantly surprised me. Of course there were a few strained looks and some disapproving glances, and even one woman whose head I thought was going to fall off because she was making such a song and dance of staring at me as I walked past, but on the whole this was a great experience and for the most part people were lovely.

I did look forward to getting it off though…

So what’s the next step? Hmmm, I dunno if I have the figure for a cocktail dress…

And one more for good luck…