Queen’s increases patrols around library after student says she was followed home by stranger

However the police have called the incident a ‘misunderstanding’

Queen’s University Belfast has said it has “increased patrolling” around the McClay Library and nearby areas after a student alleged she was followed home from the library last Sunday.

The university emailed students this week to help ease fears after students took to social media to suggest they didn’t feel safe around the library with some suggesting non-students had accessed it.

As well as increasing security around the library, the university reiterated it has a 24-hour security presence around all of campus and the team use CCTV and intruder alarms to help “ensure a safe and secure environment for all persons working, studying, and visiting the University campus”.

Last Sunday, reports emerged a female student was followed home from the library after leaving in the evening.

Queen’s security staff raised the “security concern” with the police who began investigating the incident.

Chief Inspector Neil Beck said he was “satisfied the issue had been a misunderstanding” after the police identified a man to speak to in connection with the incident and it emerged he was a “member of the library”.

He added: “The safety of students and the wellbeing of the wider community is an ongoing priority for local officers.

“We will continue to work closely with the universities, other partners and our local officers will be on patrol in busy student areas across all times of the day and night to prevent harm and address any issues in the area. I would encourage anyone with safety issues or concerns to contact us directly on 101.

A spokesperson for Queen’s University Belfast said: “The university has been made aware of a security concern and continues to work with the PSNI to resolve the issue.

“In the meantime, we have increased patrolling around the library and nearby areas to ensure that our students feel safe and supported on campus.

“Our 24-hour security service can be contacted on 028 9097 5099 and we would encourage anyone who feels unsafe to get in touch.”

Do you want to write articles like this? Do you want to uncover the biggest stories on campus? The Belfast Tab is looking for new writers and we want you! To find out about how to join the team, DM us on Instagram @thebelfasttab