Queen’s Belfast is the best uni in Northern Ireland, according to World University Ranking

And QUB has risen up the ranking since last year!!

It’s official: Queen’s Belfast is the best uni in Northern Ireland in 2022, according to the new Times Higher Education World Ranking published today.

Queen’s Belfast placed in at joint 198th best university in the world, tied with Durham and Reading. These three unis also placed in at joint 26th best universities in the UK.

QUB has improved from last year, when the 2022 the World University Ranking saw it in the 201-250th grouping. The ranking looks at almost 1,800 unis across over 100 countries and ranks them. Only the top 200 in the world get an individual score, and unis after this are then put in groups of 50.

The World University Ranking also gives a score for how unis are performing on a number of metrics in 2022, and Queen’s Belfast has an overall score of 54.4. Scores in individual areas are 31.1 for teaching, 37.9 for research, 84.4 for citations, 41.6 for industry income, and 97.4 for international outlook.

It says QUB has just over 19,000 students, considerably more female than make students (a 57:43 ratio), and 39 per cent of its students are international students. There are also 15.7 students per member of staff.

Edinburgh is the best university in Scotland (fifth in the UK), and Cardiff is the best uni in Wales, at 24th best in the UK. The best uni in the whole WORLD is also a UK university – it’s Oxford, naturally. In case you were wondering, Cambridge is second best in the country and third best in the world.

You can view the full rankings here.

Do you want to write articles like this? Do you want to uncover the biggest stories on campus? The Belfast Tab is looking for new writers and we want you! To find out about how to join the team, DM us on Instagram @thebelfasttab