New ‘world class’ SPAR opens on campus ready to serve Queen’s students

It features Northern Ireland’s first non-dairy self-service coffee machine

A new SPAR has opened inside the Queen’s Students’ Union ready to serve your every need between your marathon library sessions and uni lectures.

The convenience store, situated inside the newly developed One Elmwood Student Centre cost a whopping £250,000 to build and has been described as “world class”.

The shop has a number of special features that is going to make it stand out and be the go to place for Queen’s students. Get ready for a massive 300 square foot deli counter which will serve hot breakfast and lunch options, split between fresh to order or grab and go options.

Part of the Delish hot food counter will include a dedicated burrito bar alongside all the usual things you’d expect in your local SPAR like sandwiches, wraps and salads.

Paddy Doody, sales and marketing director for Henderson Group, the company who own SPAR in Northern Ireland, stressed the shop has been specifically designed for Queens’ 27,0o0 students and staff.

“Students are the main force behind the demand within this market locally, they are savvy in that they’re not only looking for value prices but top-quality produce that is made right in front of them, which is exactly what we’re delivering with the Delish Burrito Bar and our great value meal deals,” he said.

As well as the extensive food options, the new SPAR features what is believed to be Northern Ireland’s first non-dairy self-serve coffee machine. The machine uses only plant-based milk alternatives and will offer a range of options.

The shop has been several years in the making and has created eight new jobs for students. Having opened in time for the start of term, you can visit the new SPAR and try out all the new features yourself now!