Living in Notts city centre is even dodgier than St Ann’s

We call it ‘Shottingham’ for a reason

Over 850 crimes were reported in the city centre during August of this year.

The stats, from Police.uk show central Nottingham is the most dangerous part of the whole city.

The highest amount of crime committed on any street in Nottingham goes to Thurland Street, just off Market Square, with a whopping 54 crimes in the same month.

The types of crime reported here range from violent and sexual offences, drugs, possession of weapons, and in February this year, Thurland Street became the crime scene of a nineteen-year-old locals’ murder.

Being surrounded by plenty of pubs and clubs, the area is popular with students and drunks alike.

Thurland Street is the most risky

If that isn’t scary enough, King Street isn’t much better. A total of 47 crimes took place there and 30 crimes on the Goosegate area were reported near the Market Bar nightclub.

Although the City Centre makes a clear winner for the most dangerous student area of Nottingham, the second most risky is the Arboretum.

Popular as a residential area with Trent students due to being right on the doorstep of uni and, of course, the city, the areas around Ashwell Gardens and Hawksley Road are particularly unsafe with 11 crimes committed. The sorts of crime vary from burglary, robbery, drugs and theft.

Percentage of Augusts crimes in different areas of Notts

The most shifty area in St Ann’s is Great Freeman Street with crimes including burglary and those of a violent and sexual nature. However, Sian Whittaker, third year, was shocked to hear that the area didn’t live up to its ghetto reputation and that in fact, more crimes were committed in perceived posher parts of West Bridgford, than where her previous student flats were located on Union Road overlooking St Ann’s.

The Forensic Science student said, “When I lived in the Glasshouse, I thought I heard a gunshot one night. A group of lads were pushing and shouting at each other outside when it happened,  my friends also saw someone kicking a fence down close by.

“I live on Loughborough Road now and West Bridgford feels a lot safer, I wouldn’t be as worried about walking alone in the dark around here.”

Unlucky for her, the mout affected street in West Bridgford is Loughborough Road, with 10 out of the 13 crimes committed there in August being located near the Asda superstore.

The most crimes reported in Lenton were on or near the Queens Medical Centre, with 46 out of the total 67 being located here.

Denison Street in Radford is the worst place to live with 13 crimes reported ranging from drugs, criminal damage and arson.