Sussex seafront zip wires get the go ahead

Time to soar over the seafront

brighton brighton wheel i360 news tourist zip wires

Two 300-metre long zip wires, the longest in the UK, will soon be constructed on Brighton seafront following today’s council planning meeting at Hove Town Hall.

Construction could be complete by Easter 2017, and the zip wire could be in place for decades.

Customers will be able to jump from heights of 20 meters from Dalton’s Bastion and fly 300 metres across the seafront before descending into a safe landing area near Madeira Drive. Punters will also be able to enjoy drinks and snacks at the attraction’s cafe.

However, the project has faced criticism from those who live or work close by.

The zip-wire, which is sure to draw in locals, students and tourists alike, was proposed back in March by Paramount Entertainments as a replacement for their Brighton wheel. The wheel closed this May as part of an agreement with the British Airways i360, and was later rehomed in Europe.

Speaking to The Argus, Council leader and economic development committee chairman Warren Morgan said: “We always remained interested in the idea of another attraction to replace the Wheel.

“We’re clear that an attraction on that site is desirable because it brings life to the area – and one of our ambitions is to regenerate the seafront between the pier and the marina.”