Meet the Sussex rugby team tackling Movember

‘It is okay not to be okay, talking to others about your struggles is not a weakness’

Movember is a campaign held throughout the entire month of November and raises both awareness and money for men’s health issues, either physical or mental. The campaign focuses on prevention of testicular cancer, prostate cancer, mental health and suicide prevention.

During the month, many attempt to grow a moustache or choose to ‘Mo their own way’.The Sussex Tab caught up with the Sussex Men’s Rugby team to find out why the cause is so important to them and to find out how they are raising money.

The team are aiming to raise £4,000 by the end of this month and have already raised a whopping £3,714.

A spokesman for the team, Finn, explained why Movember is so important to the squad. He said: “At the Men’s Rugby Club here at Sussex, we have very strong views on mental health and particularly on the stigma surrounding mens ability to talk openly about their mental health. In our daily life at training, at socials and at charity events we are constantly aiming to uphold a culture of being open and supportive towards anyone who struggles with their mental health”

He explains that the charity are “on the frontline, fighting to better the face of mens health, which is a cause that deeply resonates with our boys”.

Finn also explained how sporting the iconic Movember moustache is important. He said: “Sporting the famous Movember moustache around campus and while out and about also shows the people around us that we are in support of men who may be struggling right now, hopefully spreading awareness and encouraging others to do so”.

As well as growing out their facial hair, the team have also hosted a number of events and taken part in numerous challenges over the past month. They hosted an inter-societal mixed fundraising quiz and have been working alongside the Sussex TV Society to create a piece about mental health awareness.

Finn added: “We are also trying to move 1,440km as a club this month in recognition of the 1,440 men who die by suicide everyday, which is at least 45 men every half of a football game”.

The team explained their main message. “We want to convey to those around us that it is okay not to be okay, that to talk to others about your struggle is not a weakness, and finally to check up on your mates more”.

For updates and information on how to donate, you can follow the teams Movember page here.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58. You matter.

A list of wellbeing services available to Sussex Uni students can be found here. 

Related articles recommended by this writer: