Footage emerges of armed police arresting Sussex student in halls after ‘threats to kill’

Police raided East Slope halls with dogs after a 19-year-old student made ‘malicious communications’

Footage of University of Sussex students being evacuated from their halls of residence has emerged after armed police arrested a student last week.

A new video showed armed police officers with riot gear and a police dog moving through the accommodation, as well as a handcuffed student being put into a police car.

Officers raided East Slope accommodation on March 5th after a student made “malicious communications” around using a gun to harm another student, including making threats to kill, with nearby buildings also being emptied as a precaution.

A 19-year-old man was arrested and taken into police custody after a report was made over a man in possession of firearms and violent threats against another student. Sussex police have since confirmed no gun was found

Footage of the incident has since been shared on TikTok, showing armed police with riot gear and a police dog moving through the university accommodation building. Students who had also been evacuated from nearby flats as a precaution can be seen outside, as well as a group who can be seen inside the accommodation as the police move down the stairs.

Captioned “2nd time this week”, the video posted by @pelinbarann on Thursday showed text which read “Average uni day in the UK”.

Campus security along with multiple police vehicles can be seen parked around the hall as students gathered to watch the unidentified student be walked away in handcuffs by police and placed into a police car.

The footage also shows police and security gathered and talking in a building, with one officer holding a radio.

Sussex Police confirmed that no firearms were found during the incident in Falmer and a spokeswoman for the force said: “Police were called to the University of Sussex campus in Brighton at just after 6.30pm on Tuesday, March 5th, following a report of a man in possession of firearms and making threats to kill.

“A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill and malicious communications. He remains in police custody at this time.

“An extensive search of an address was carried out and no firearms were found. As a precaution, a number of flats were evacuated to ensure the safety of students.”

Detective Sergeant Joshua Bellamy at the time: “Officers quickly responded to this incident and ensured the safety of students and the public immediately.

“The man was not found in possession of any firearms and enquiries are now ongoing to establish the full circumstances of the incident.

“We would like to thank students and the public for their patience and co-operation while this incident was ongoing.”

A University of Sussex spokeswoman confirmed the incident, saying “police were called to campus” but added that it would be “inappropriate” to comment further at this stage.