Alumnus attracts award

The future looks bright St Andreans! Alumnus Alex Salmond (pictured above far left) has just been named The Spectator magazine’s Politician of the Year. You could be next… Alex Salmond, […]

The future looks bright St Andreans! Alumnus Alex Salmond (pictured above far left) has just been named The Spectator magazine’s Politician of the Year. You could be next…

Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), graduated from St Andrews with joint honours MA Economics and History. Since then Salmond has excelled in his political career, starting out in the Federation of Student Nationalists while here at St Andrews, moving up the ranks to become the SNP’s Vice Convener for Publicity. He then became Senior Vice Convener (Deputy Leader), and then finally leader of the SNP (talk about climbing the ladder!).

In his time as leader Salmond has made a name for himself, and was awarded the Spectator award for Political Strategist of the Year. However, it is his most recent achievement of leading the SNP to an overall majority win of 69 out of 129 seats in the Scottish Parliament that has seen The Spectator reward him and hail him for “seeing off the leaders of the other three main political parties in Scotland”.