St Andrews student called ‘fashion God’ after wearing a bucket hat on University Challenge

Get him to Paris Fashion Week right now

A St Andrews student has been branded a “fashion God” for wearing a bucket hat on the most recent episode of BBC’s University Challenge.

Alex Csukai, an astrophysics and astronomy student at University of St Andrews, paired his bright pink bucket, on which he chose to pin his ribbon in support of Ukraine, with a cloud print jumper. Alas, as the contestants are only filmed from the waist up Alex’s choice of trousers were not able to be seen.

The episode which aired last night and was the first in the New Year, saw St Andrews compete for the second time. In his first appearance on the show back in October 2022, which saw the Scottish uni team compete against Gonville and Caius college, Cambridge, Alex opted for a far more subdued outfit consisting of a green toned jumper with a complimentary button up shirt – no hat of any nature in site.

His choice of head wear this time around divided viewers; whilst some praised his wardrobe choice branding him a “fashion God”, others shared their disapproval to his festival attire: “Just who told Mr Csukai that hat was a good idea?”

Unfortunately, St Andrews lost to the likes of the Royal Holloway team they were up against and were kicked out the competition meaning that we have been robbed of seeing what Alex would have worn if he made it through to another round. One can only imagine.

All images via BBC iPlayer.

Three St Andrews students have lost £12k total in accommodation scams

St Andrews University is the fourth best uni in Scotland, according to World University Ranking

The St Andrews Tab is looking for new writers and we want you!