University of St Andrews staff set to strike for 18 days before Easter

Over 70,000 staff at 150 universities will be striking

Staff and lecturers at the University of St Andrews are set to go on strike for 18 days this term.

The University and College Union (UCU) has announced that 70,000 staff at 150 UK universities will be striking for 18 days in February and March, as staff are in an ongoing campaign for better pay and pensions, among other things.

That will make a total of 21 days of industrial action so far this academic year after staff went on strike for three days before Christmas. To put that into perspective, academic year 21-22 experienced 18 days of strike in total action for the entire year. A Tab investigation this summer found Russell Group unis saved £11million in withheld pay whilst lecturers were on strike last university year.

The UCU has not yet said the exact dates uni staff will be striking, and has said this will be confirmed next week.

• St Andrews student called ‘fashion God’ after wearing a bucket hat on University Challenge

• Three St Andrews students have lost £12k total in accommodation scams

• St Andrews University is the fourth best uni in Scotland, according to World University Ranking