‘Walk for Freedom’ is returning to Newcastle for the first time since Covid-19

‘When we come together in numbers, we can change the statistics.’

Walk for Freedom is a global event, taking place in cities all over the world on Saturday 15th October to raise awareness for Human Trafficking.

The walk in Newcastle is taking place between 10 and 11am. It is associated with the anti-human trafficking organisation A21 who work to end human trafficking globally.

Those taking part in the walk will wear black and walk in unison from China Town gate to the Monument and down to the Quayside all in aid of spreading awareness for human trafficking.

Other UK cities taking part in the walk include; Liverpool, Norwich, Birmingham, Truro and Galway.

Click the map to find other walks near you!

49.6 million people were living in modern slavery in 2021, 27.6 million were in forced labour and 22 million into forced marriage.

Organiser Rachel Jobes said: “When I first found out about human trafficking I was shocked; the stats are massive you’d think something that big would be more known about.

“The Walk For Freedom is about raising awareness but it’s also about standing in solidarity for over 40 million victims who have no voice.”

Walk For Freedom first took place in Newcastle in 2017 and has attracted up to 80 walkers in previous years, the organisers are hoping for a big turn out this Saturday.

The statistics are shocking yet awareness for human trafficking and the true extent of the issue remains low.

Join thousands of people taking action in hundreds of cities worldwide on October 15, 2022, to raise awareness of human trafficking.

To do your bit in the fight against human trafficking you can register for the Newcastle Walk For Freedom event at a21.org/walk or follow the Instagram @wffnewcastle22 for more information.

All photos including featured image via Simon Neil Scott.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.