A man has been charged over the murder of a Northumbria Uni student in their halls

Other students living in the hall had their fingerprints taken and were relocated

A man has been charged with the murder of a 24-year-old Northumbria University student.

The death occurred at Mansion Tyne student hall on Tuesday 27th September, where police and emergency services attended the hall but found the 24-year-old student had died. The two men were said to have known each other.

Aaron Ray, 21, appeared in Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on Saturday and was remanded in custody to appear again before a judge on October 4th at Newcastle Crown Court.

A section of the large student hall where the murder took place was cordoned off with police tape on Thursday as forensics officers worked at the scene.

A student told the Chronicle that students who lived on the same floor in the hall were relocated and had their fingerprints taken.

A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: “Shortly before 4.30pm on Tuesday police received a report of concern for the welfare of a man inside an address on Howard Street, Newcastle.

“Police and emergency services attended but sadly a 24-year-old man was confirmed as deceased.

“It is believed the two men were known to each other and there is no risk to the wider public, but officers will remain in the area.”

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

• Police launch murder investigation after Northumbria University student found dead in halls