The ultimate guide to Newcastle’s student areas

You’ve known your housemates for three days and now it’s time to start hunting for your next home

If you’re a fresher, it’s likely that you’re in accommodation and need to start looking for your second year home.

Perhaps you’re a “roll out of bed and stumble to your 1 pm lecture fresh from a night in Shaker” kind of person, or more of a “cycle to your 9am after an evening of flat Come Dine With Me”. Whichever you are, if you’re not sure where you should rent in Newcastle, The Tab has you covered.

City Centre

Living in the centre has its obvious perks – you have uni and a night out quite literally on your doorstep.

The city boasts loads of options for private halls and professional accommodation as well as some lovely flats and maisonettes. The rent can often be reasonable, but the living space tends to be on the smaller side – despite not needing to take out a small mortgage to use the Metro, you’ll still probably get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Jesmond

Jesmond is a Mecca for Newcastle students. Just a 20 minute walk to both Newcastle and Northumbria campus, the ease of travelling to Uni and the City Centre means you’re never further than a five minute walk from a mate’s house.

Not only are your pals close, but you’re also never more than a brisk stroll away from a pub – Osbourne Road is Jesmond’s answer to the Magaluf strip. Despite its posh reputation, if you manage to snap up a house early, rent is mid-range (around £90-£110 a week).

It’s also great for transport links, with close access to both West Jesmond and Jesmond Metro stations.

Ouseburn

Many students anecdotally recall the moment they discovered Ouseburn – it’s a haven for an alternative night out with its collection of bars, pubs and gig venues. Ouseburn has recently begun hosting small club nights in a few of its breweries and is always a solid shout for a pint in the sun. Many of the pubs are renowned for their unrivalled, diverse food options too.

You’ll have to start putting on the lottery if you want to rent here though, as an apartment averages at around £200 a week.

Sandyford

Jesmond’s biggest rival is Sandyford. Rent tends to be on the cheaper side here and the houses are huge.

What it lacks in pubs, Sandyford makes up for in house parties, and it’s only a 15 minute walk from both the City Centre and the Quayside. Sandyford also compensates with an array of supermarket options – there’s Byker Asda AND Morrison’s within walking distance of a metro (those sneaky Jesmond Waitrose trips soon add up).

The area is host to loads of independent cafes and also serves as a cheaper option for enjoying the Ouseburn scene, with the Tyne Bar only a 10 minute walk down the road.

Heaton

A slightly less popular, but by far the most affordable choice is Heaton.

The area boasts some of arguably the best hangover-cure food establishments in Newcastle on Chillingham Road and is only a short walk to both Heaton Park and Jesmond Dene. Heaton also has its very own big Sainsbury’s and there are a few independent cafes around the Coast Road area.

If you’re after the best bang for your buck, Heaton is the place to be.

Happy house hunting

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.