How and where to get tested for Covid-19 in Newcastle

It’s important to get tested if you’re showing symptoms

Covid-19 cases are rapidly increasing in the North East by the day, with over 770 Northumbria students having recently tested positive. It is therefore important to know how and where to get tested if you’re showing symptoms.

You are eligible for a free NHS test under the following circumstances:

• You are suffering from a dry cough, high temperature or loss of sense and smell

• You have been asked by a hospital or local council to get tested

If you are testing within the first eight days of developing symptoms, you can register online to have a home test kit delivered, which you can send back in the post after completing the test.

If you have had symptoms for longer than eight days, you are no longer eligible for at-home testing and must go to a test centre.

Test site appointments must be booked in advance through the GOV.UK website. Due to the service being busy currently, there is no guarantee you will be assigned the test site closest to you, but test sites in Newcastle include:

Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road – a walk-through testing site, a 1o minute walk from Newcastle University Campus

Etherley Road car park, Byker – a walk-through testing site

Coronation Street car park, Wallsend – a walk-through testing site

NGP Park and Ride, Hazelrigg – a drive-through testing site

Further afield Covid-19 test sites include North Shields and Blyth.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Recommended stories by this writer:

Second lockdown now ‘inevitable’, claim experts 

770 Northumbria students have tested positive for coronavirus

Newcastle students face explosion if found to be breaking Covid rules