Image may contain: Poster, Vehicle, Transportation, Train Station, Train, Terminal, Subway, Person, People, Human

Living in Ilford Road: the pros and cons

The student road that everyone forgets about

Jesmond isn't the only student area in Newcastle. There is Heaton, Sandyford, Fenham and High West Jesmond – which is where us Ilford Road folk reside. Seeing as nobody seems to know that Ilford Road has a student population here are the pros and cons of our student road.

The pros

Rent is cheaper

Ilford Road isn't the main student area so when it comes to rent, it is so much cheaper! We pay around £59 a week where as those in Jesmond and West Jesmond are paying around £90 to £120 a week. Which means more money for nights out and of course a Gregg's Festive Bake for us on Ilford Road.

We do have a great convenience store nearby

We may not have a Sainsburys local nearby, but we do have a great little Simply Local convenience store for all our last minute mixer and alcohol purchases.

The Metro is a few feet away

Image may contain: Sedan, Road, Intersection, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Person, People, Human

The Metro is right opposite our houses, so as soon as you get off the Metro you are a few steps away from your front door. Which for someone who doesn't like walking is a dream.

Close to Gosforth High Street

Image may contain: Sweater, Clothing, Bottle, Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Person, People, Human

If you need any medicine or prescriptions there is a Boots right on the high street 15 minutes up the road. With a Wetherspoons, doctors, pharmacy and an endless list of pubs you can't go wrong (unless you drink too many pitchers in Spoons and forget which side road leads back to Ilford Road).

Taxi's are still quite cheap

A taxi obviously isn't as cheap as they would be to Jesmond but for only a quid more it isn't bad. Especially when you save all that money on rent…

Less noise

As there aren't as many students on the street the noise levels are extremely low, the most noise you're going to hear is the wind or a car alarm. So, if your doing an all-nighter to get that essay finished you won't need to worry about the amount of noise coming from next door.

Short 10 minute walk to West Jesmond

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Urban, Town, Street, Road, City, Building, Walkway, Sidewalk, Pavement, Path

If someone is hosting pre-drinks in West Jes you don't need to worry about waiting for the Metro or getting a taxi, it is literally a short 10 minute walk to the West Jesmond Metro and from there it will only be a few minutes to all the main student based roads. So don't worry you won't be missing that lit house party or pres.

The cons

Quite far out from the city centre

As we are closer to Gosforth than the city centre walking can take up to 40 minutes and that is just to the back of the Robinson Library, so the Metro becomes our only mode of transport. Unless you want to fork out and get an Uber everyday.

We aren't as close to the supermarkets

We may be closer to the big Asda Superstore near Regent Centre but we don't have the luxury of a Sainsburys Local and Tesco Metro like the other student population. If we want food we either get it delivered or suffer the walk to the Tesco Metro in Jesmond.

It is a larger family oriented area

There are a lot of families living on Ilford Road which means noise complaints can be more frequent. Most students houses will have at least one family living next to them, so pre-drinks can sometimes welcome an angry letter or a neighbour at your door.

No local bars

Image may contain: Bottle, Game, Gambling

We aren't as lucky as those who live on Osborne Road who can have a short walk to the pub. For us we have to walk into Jesmond or get the Metro to get near any sort of alcohol related venue, which becomes too much effort for us students, so we tend to stay in instead.

No McDelivery

We are the unfortunate souls that don't get McDonalds delivered to their door because apparently we live too far away. Even though we are only a two minute drive from West Jesmond (the shade).

UberEATS and Deliveroo don't always deliver

Depending what you want to eat will depend on what they will deliver. Both UberEATS and Deliveroo have limited options when it comes to ordering food – the best we get is Greggs, Pizza Express or Fat Hippo.

Parking spaces are quite limited

Image may contain: Walkway, Sidewalk, Pavement, Path, Cobblestone, Jaguar Car, Parking Lot, Parking, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

We only have on the road parking which is very limited. When it comes to parking you just have to pray that there is a spot somewhat near your house and if not you'll be parking right at the top of the street (but who can afford a car on our student loans anyway).

So I think it's safe to say Ilford Road is another great student road. We may be further out and not close enough for McDelivery but for the money we pay we have a pretty decent house and more money for trebles in Bijoux and cheesy chips in Munchies.